Chapter 4

Weeks pass by. Even though the wound on Yuki's back has heeled, she kept in touch with Shirayuki. The two girls have bonded together, and any chance that Yuki had she would spend with Shirayuki.

Today was Yuki's day off, and she decided to spend it helping Shirayuki in the herb gardens.

It was late in the afternoon when Yuki and Shirayuki were walking down the cobbler stone road from the herb gardens back to the castle when a spooked horse ran straight toward them.

"Shirayuki! Run!" Yuki yells to her friend, but she is frozen in fear. Without hesitation, Yuki runs in front of Shirayuki with arms straight out and waving them in hopes to stop the galloping beast.
"Yuki!"

"Woha! Easy there boy!" Yuki reaches out her hands to signal the horse to halt as she makes steady eye contact with it. The wild beast raises its hooves up in the air and whines. He seems to want to trample over Yuki, but she moves back, giving it space to prance.
"That's it boy. Easy." The horse stops in front of her and huffs while shaking its head. "There, there... let me pet you...." She slowly approaches the horse and pets his nose, "You're such a good boy." She murmurs praises calmly to the horse.

Yuki grabs the reins in a nick of time as she hears Zen frantic call to Shirayuki. This spooks the horse.
"Whoa! It's okay boy! You're safe!" She holds the renis strongly as she tries not to break eye contact with the horse. "Prince Zen! Approach us camly! Everything is under control." She loudly yet calmly announces as she steadies the frighten beast without taking her eyes off of it.
"Good boy. That's it. Steady." With confidence she coaxed it back to submission.

"Are both of you okay?" Zen franatically calls out to the girls. Mitsuhide was right behind him. They witness the whole scene.
"Yes, I'm alright." Shirayuki announces.
"I'm fine too." Yuki says while camly petting the horse. The horse snuggles to her, and she giggles, "I think he's fine too. Something must have spooked him."

"Yuki, am I right?" She nods her head in approval. "Thank you for stopping the horse and protecting Shirayuki."
"Oh! It was nothing. It was a natural thing to do."
"You put yourself at risk...."
"But I'm okay." Yuki cuts of Shirayuki, making sure her friend would not worry about her. "Now, where did this horse come from?" Yuki looks around, but before anyone can answer a stable man came running to them. The horse automatically moves away from him. Yuki senses the horse's displeasure.

"I'm so sorry your highness. This horse is a lunatic!" The man tries to explain the situation.
"No, he is not!" Yuki comes into the horse's defence as the horse prances behind her.
"What do you know? You don't work with him!"
"Maybe not, but I can tell this horse is frighten of you. Whatever you did to this horse, he lost his trust in you." Yuki was angry, "Please get someone else to get this horse back into the stables."
The stable man was angry, "This horse is unrideable. It's dangerous to the public and should be put down."
"No! I will ride him to prove he's a good horse!" Yuki furiously tries to protect the animal.

Zen chimes in, "If the horse will allow a rider, then we will work with the horse. But if not, then... we will sell the horse. There will be no killing involved." He turns to Yuki. "It's getting late today, so let's schedule the riding tomorrow."
"Thank you, your highness." She greatfully curtsy, "may I lead him to the stables?"
"Of course." Zen turns to his aid, "Mitsuhide, can you assist Yuki and show her where the stables are?"
"Yes, your higness."

Mitsuhide left Yuki in the stables as she took care of the horse. After a while, she decided that she should do a trial run before tomorrow.

"What are you doing, miss?"
A male voice in the quiet room spooks her but not the horse. She turns around.
"You scared me," She let's a sigh of relief when she sees a familiar face, "again."
"Sorry," Obi approaches her while she holds onto the saddle, "you do realize it's on backwards."
She lets out a groan of displeasure, "Darn it! And it took me so long to put it on!"
"Are you trying to steal a horse?" He chuckles in amusement.
"I need to ride him tomorrow to prove that he's a good horse. But there's a problem...." She looks to the side, trying to hide her face.
Obi bends over and tries to look at her eyes, "Which is?"
"I've never ridden a horse before." Embarrassment now was evident on her face.