Getting to the house

"Nice! This one looks fine. It's not too casual, not too dressy" Monami said to herself as she examined her reflection in the mirror. She was not a picky dresser usually and would put on something comfortable but today she wanted to be proper. It was her first visit to the Shergil house and she wanted to leave a good impression.

Sid came in whistling, "Tu kahin special ja rahi hai?"

Sid came in whistling, "Tu kahin special ja rahi hai?". He notices all the clothes on the bed. "Teri kapda emergency thi to mujhe bula leti."

"Haan wo Karan ki bhabhi ne dinner pe bulaya tha. To Karan ke saath jaa rahi hoon."

"To ye kya pehen rahi hai hai. Kuch "pairi pauna" type pehen le. Ghoonghat and all"

 Ghoonghat and all"

"Eeeksss. Shut up Sid, you mad or what. It's just a dinner and main to bas casually dress ho ke ja rahi thi. Achha chal I am getting late already. Khadoos Shergill already impatient hoga." She gave Sid a hug and ran out.

Karan was waiting at the gate with his jeep with crossed arms and a frown. The clouds were already thundering loud so Karan had covered up the jeep.

"Jeep mein baitho!" Karan said before even she could say a hi.
"Tum drive karoge?" Asked Monami "Tumhari chot abhi poori heal nahi hui"
"It's a short drive Monami. I will manage" said Karan sternly.
Monami didn't want to argue.

"Karan can we stop at the market for 5 minutes? I didn't get a chance to plan for this dinner but I want to buy something for bhabhi and baby".

"Koi zaroorat nahi hai Monami. Mausam kharab hai, we should try and reach before it starts raining. Tumne gauri ki life save ki isliye tumhe dinner pe bulaya. Wo koi gift expect nahi kar rahe tumse. Aur tumhe kaunsa unse dobara milna hai. It's a simple dinner. Kha kar 1 ghante mein wapas aa jayenge."

Karan's words saddened her and she could not pin point the reason. "Please Karan, I won't take more than 5 minutes. Pleeease." Monami's voice was a little subdued than usual.

Karan looked at Monami and sighed.

After a few minutes, he stopped at the market. "You have 5 minutes. Don't be late"
Monami was pleasantly surprised. She jumped out of the jeep and was back in 5 min with all the gifts. Karan didn't say a word when she returned but he noticed Monami was visibly happier and gave a light smile and nod.

It had already started raining by the time they reached Shergil house.

.........................To be continued ........................