An evening gone wrong

After Bhabhi left, Baby was busy playing with Monami. Karan joined them too after some time.

Rain had become heavier and there was chill in the air so they decided to keep Baby in her blanket to keep her warm . Baby chit chatted with Monami while keeping her head on her shoulders or in her lap.

"Aapka room to bohot pretty hai Baby and ye sab toys bhi." Baby excitedly told Monami about various things in the room and who got what for her. Monami was particularly interested in what Karan chachu got for her - the colourful rubber band, the tent with fairy lights, the soldier badges etc etc. Monami thought to herself "Karan wants to make Baby tough like a soldier but also caters to her needs as a child and as a girl. He may look indifferent outside but he is so sensitive to needs of those he is close to." She again smiled thinking about Karan.

Karan came in the room. I think Baby and all of us should have dinner now and Baby should sleep as well.
"Ok chachu", Baby said. "I will warm up the food" Karan told Monami.

"I will help you" Monami followed Karan. They were in the kitchen. Karan said, "I will take out soup bowls from the cupboard, you can switch on the gas and warm up the soup. It's there in the cooker"
Monami nodded. Karan went out of the kitchen.

Monami tried to light the gas by turning the knob. It didn't light. She looked for match box , she couldn't find it. "Gas lighter must be on the microwave" Karan said from outside the kitchen. Monami found a T-shaped thing on the microwave but she had never used it before.  Monami tried to use it but she fumbled as she didn't know how to use it. Monami quickly googled videos on how to light a gas with a lighter. She really wanted to create a good impression today. But this gas lighter situation had made her nervous and her hands were sweating even in the cold rainy night. As she looked at Google search results, her phone slipped from her sweaty hand and rolled over near kitchen door as Karan walked in. He picked up the phone and saw the Google results. Monami was nervous as she looked down in embarrassment.
"Tumne kabhi gas on nahi kari???" Karan raised his eyes in wonder
"Kari hai na, of course kari hai. Bas wo different thi , ye thodi different hai." Monami answered nervously.
Karan showed Monami how to light the gas.
"Pressure cooker khola hai kabhi, ye wala" Karan looked at Monami. Monami tried to open it but couldn't. "Yes,no, I mean long time back, abhi y-yaad nahi hai" Monami was sweating with nervousness.
Karan looked amused and disappointed, "Its ok Rani sahiba, aap yahan guest hain, baahar baithiye... main soup le kar aata hoon"

Monami was too embarrassed. Her face turned pale and she was teary eyed as she had hoped Karan won't be judging her on her privilege now. But she had failed in simple tasks here.

Baby was out in the porch. Monami went to her and asked her to stay inside as her cold may worsen. Baby stretched her hand and pointed towards some puppies across the road. They seemed to be new born and were drenched in rain and making crying sounds.
"Oh they look too little to be out there in cold rain" Monami was concerned.

"Karan do you have any disposable boxes and plastic sheets etc." asked Monami from the porch.
Karan replied from the kitchen "May be in the store"
Baby took Monami to the store.
Monami took some resources from there, asked baby to wait in the house and went across the road. Using rocks, some board and plastic sheets, Monami made a small sheltered space for the puppies to stay dry. She also left some food in the shelter. The puppies were quieter now in the dry space. From the kitchen window, Karan saw Monami getting drenched. He came out and baby explained what happened. Monami seemed happy and laughing with the puppies.

Monami was petting the puppies who we're comfortable in the shelter now when she noticed the rain stopped falling on her. She looked up to see Karan holding an umbrella over her. They both walked back up to the home. A little puppy started following them and Monami lifted it to put him back in the shelter.

Karan folded the umbrella once both of them entered porch. "That puppy seems to fancy you" Karan said to Monami. Monami smiled "such little kids,'jahan pyaar dikhta hai wahi chale jaate hain" She felt happy again after caring for the little puppies.

"Pyaar dikhaya, dimaag bhi dikha deti" taunted Karan. Monami was taken aback with Karan's harsh words. Karan continued "baarish mein gayi thi, umbrella le ke jaa sakti thi. Kisi ki help karne ke liye, apne aap ko khatre mein baar baar daal dena kaunsi samajhdaari hai. Dekho khud ko! Ab saari shaam aise geele kapdo mein baithogi?" Karan said angrily.

Monami realised she was dripping water. Karan was right, she could have taken an umbrella but she was so focused on making that shelter, that she didn't even realise it. She fumbled with words "No, yes, No Karan. I mean. I am so-sorry Karan, I didn't mean to drip water all over your house. Can I get a t-T-towel please." Monami was nervous again

" Ye bhabhi ka room hai. Find something for yourself and change before you catch cold" Karan led Monami to Bhabhi's room, only to find her cupboards locked.
Baby had followed them to the room. "Ab kya karenge. Doctor Girl ko mere kapde to aayenge nahi"
"Upar Chalo" Karan led while Monami and Baby followed. He opened a room. " Ye mera room hai. Cupboard is unlocked. Tumhe jo theek lage, pehen lo. Tumhari dress ko iron karke dry kar deta hoon. Dry ho jayegi to wapas change kar lena. Is that ok with you?"

Monami nodded. "I can iron my dress myself"
"Are you sure? Aata hai tumhe?"
Monami nodded a yes. She had tears in her eyes.
"Chachu dheere bolo na, Doctor girl is scared already" Baby intervened.

Karan calmed himself down.
"Relax Monami. Tum change kar lo. Dress kaafi geeli hai, shaayad abhi iron se dry na ho. Thodi der fan ke neeche sukha do and baad mein iron kar lenge."

Baby and Karan went downstairs. Monami shut the room door. She was crying now. She had hoped the evening will help her form good impressions but it had turned out so disastrous. "Karan mujhe hamesha ek privileged princess hi samjhega, an emotional fool" She remembered her dad's words that she was an emotional fool like her mother. She sat down on the floor in her wet clothes, tears falling down her eyes.