Chapter Three

A warmth spread across my skin as I opened my eyes. I was standing in a bright, sunny meadow, a light wind blowing. Purple and red beams were flashing across my vision, and my arm was shiny again. It was midday, when it should've been afternoon at the World School.

"Where are we?" My voice wobbled, and my arm throbbed. That fall was harder than I initially thought it was. "Doesn't seem like much of another world, d'ya think?"

Professor Ilane spoke. "You'd be surprised- but no, this is not our final destination. It's a rest stop. Warping this far, from Earth, especially with no one to assist, can be quite..." She swayed. "...draining." And with that she swooped to the floor, the wind seeming to catch her, placing her down gently on the soft grass. A golden bird flew in from a tree where it seemed to be watching us. It opened its beak- and words came out.

"Hello." It said in a deep, melodious voice. "My name is Bob."

I giggled, but quickly stopped. The hawk's sharp claws and hooked

beak gleamed.

Bob continued, staring straight at me with piercing eyes. "You. The professor will wake up in a few minutes. Wait patiently. Concentrate on the texture of the light here, on every beam that rains down. It is a training ground, and she has brought you here for a reason."

"Ohhhkay," I mumbled to myself. "I'm really going crazy. That, or this is a bizarre, realistic, long dream. Where a bird talks, and it tells me to texture light. Plus, my arm glows." I waved it around and plopped back onto the grass.

Bob squawked indignantly. "I am not an it. And you really must try! It is the first step in your training. The faerie, Professor Ilane- she gave me these instructions."

I sighed and tried to focus on the warmth as it touched my skin. Nothing. Nothing at all. I felt so stupid.

Professor Ilane rose, and I just lay there and pretended to sleep. "Asha. I know you're awake. Get up. Did you hear anything the bird said? Did he forget?"

Bob bowed. I didn't know birds could bow, but... "Of course not, miss. I may have forgotten some things... but I think she got the idea!" He seemed to change into an entirely different person- I mean, bird, around authority. She dismissed him and he dipped his wing before soaring away.

Ilane sighed. "If you want something, you do it yourself." She mumbled, walking over to me. "Stand up."

I rose, slow, stumbling. You've got this. The boy's voice said. Just listen to me.

"Now." She whispered. "Feel for a thread of light. It is different for everyone."

For me, it is more like a fire inside me that I follow. It ranges, so if you don't feel

a thread, don't worry. ALTHOUGH that might just be 'cause you aren't *quirky* like me!

"Think of something close to you. That's significant in your life. It could be a person, too!"

Almost immediately, I thought of two things. The first being my comfort foods, caramel popcorn, hot chocolate, and spaghetti-and-meatballs. The second was the voice in my head. Which seems weird, but it was the only thing on my side in this new place. Professor Ilane was honestly somewhat scary, but that voice cheered me up with its so-dumb-it's-funny jokes. It had a sort of warm-and-fuzzy presence. (I felt weird referring to the voice as it. I'd have to ask.)

Anyways, as I was pondering, Ilane was giving instructions. So imagine how she felt when I opened one eye and said, "Uh, could you please repeat that?" I swear I heard that voice smirk.