Ch.12: Discussion (Part 2)

"I don't want Albert to save me again," Valentino said, his voice low and bitter-bitter in a sad, regretful way. "The last thing I want is for him to save me again."

"Sooo how did Milo end up with these psychos?" Nicholas said, eyeing Sasha. "Valentino asked you. You didn't tell him."

Valentino and Sasha turned and looked at Nicholas at once, their gazes heavy with skepticism. Valentino narrowed his eyes at him and tilted his head a degree, as if saying, What are you trying to do?

Well, Valentino had said that he was willing to destroy the organization if Sasha insisted on involving Milo. Maybe if he discovered that she had set Milo up, he would flip out and destroy it regardless as revenge. Nicholas could only benefit from their conflict.

"How would I know?" Sasha said.

"You'd know because you planned it," Valentino said. "You wanted them to kidnap Milo."

Sasha frowned. "Why would I do that? What good would it do me?"

"'Cause you're trying to find someone to replace me," Valentino said. "You've been trying for years now, and it's still not working and you can't stand it anymore. I know what you're thinking. If the cult believes only my bloodline can bring back souls, then you could trick them into thinking Milo is my little brother or something. But that won't work, Sasha. It never will. Because they all love me. They respect me. They'll only listen to me, and I'll never do that to Milo."

Sasha silently took Valentino's words in. "You're right," she finally said. "It's a good plan, but it wouldn't work. I know you'd lose your shit if I so much as came near Milo. So why would I bother?"

It was her sensible and logical way of talking that made her more suspicious. Nicholas didn't think she was innocent. Hell, he was starting to suspect her even more, especially since she had admitted she would set Milo up if she needed to.

The moral compass in this place was complete haywire.

"Then how did this happen?" Valentino said. "Who planned this whole thing? Who told my clients that I can revive the dead? Who told them there's this 'rare' ritual? Who told them that it's too exhausting which is why I hate doing it? All of this stuff is completely made up. Who'd go through all this trouble just to make Milo suffer? To make me suffer? You. Because you'll forever want to hurt me and the people I care about."

Sasha's forehead wrinkled as she furrowed her thick eyebrows, and only then did Nicholas realize she was on the older side. Mid thirties, maybe even older.

"It wasn't me," she said. "I have no clue what you're talking about. Your clients probably made that all up to manipulate you into reviving their son." She glanced briefly up at the man next to her, then pushed her chair back and stood. "Valentino, keep Nicholas here for now. Teach him a few things, maybe you'll take him with you instead of Albert next time."

Huh?

That was it?

"No," Nicholas said. "That's not happening."

Sasha walked towards the door, her steps a little hurried. "I didn't ask for your opinion."

"Not happening," Nicholas repeated, gritting his teeth. Not happening, not happening, not happening. There was something fuming in his chest. "I'm gonna throw you all in prison."