PART 1

▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△

It all started with an idea.

An idea of change.

An idea of revolution.

Well... not really. It really just began with a little girl picking an opossum off of the street as she was walking over to her grandfather's shoemaking shop on a quiet evening. Thinking it was cute and cuddly (without properly calculating the responsibility of taking care of such a thing), she rushed over to the shop on the corner of the town's street and pushed open the door. Ding!

"Look PopPop!" she exclaimed with such joy, holding up the opossum like Simba. "I found a new friend!"

"A friend?" the jolly old shoemaker that somewhat resembled Santa Claus said from behind his workbench. He was so focused that he didn't see the creature that his granddaughter brought into his workshop. For all he knew, this friend was another little girl that had been brought home from school. So he pressed on. "Well hi there, new friend! What's your name?"

"Um, he doesn't have a name yet," the girl said. "I haven't thought of one!"

That's when the shoemaker realized she wasn't talking about another child. He looked up, and to his shock, he saw the horrid smelly creature that looked like it had just been coughed up by some homeless cat. As a matter of fact, it did look like a homeless cat. Of course, he knew it really wasn't. There was no way a simple opossum would hide such big secrets.

"Well, there's no way your mother's gonna let you keep that," the shoemaker said, stepping out from behind his workbench. He bent down to examine the little creature, looking at it straight in its glimmering eyes. In all consideration, the little guy was very cute. And surely it couldn't be terribly difficult to care for an opossum. They were pretty small, after all. The look of desperation on his granddaughter's face, already pouring with the question of can I keep him please let me keep him please please please also persuaded him further, up until he finally made a negotiation.

"Okay, okay, fine," the old man said. "How about this: I can keep the opossum here at the workshop for you, as long as you promise to come around as often as you can to visit and take care of it."

The little girl's face was gleaming with joy. "Really?!"

"As long as you promise."

"I promise!"

And in that moment, it was decided that the opposum would stay.