SIXTEEN

ACT TWO; TARGET IN SIGHTSCENE SIXTEEN; EVERYBODY LEAVES─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────

SCENE SIXTEEN; EVERYBODY LEAVES
─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHY AREN'T YOU PACKING?"

Klaus's voice falls flat when he stops in the doorway of their closet, watching her grab the garment bag that had been hanging amongst her formal dresses for two weeks. Salem frowns, looking at him obliviously.

"I'm getting my dress for the decade dance, I have to chaperone."

Klaus's eyes flood with frustration, and a groan dies weakly in his throat. "None of the women in my life listen to me."

"That's because you've spent the last thousand years convincing yourself that you're always right," She simpers, giving him a look over her shoulder as she lays her dress out on the island in the middle of the closet. She unzips the bag, taking the sparkling dress out carefully as she mentally dreads fixing her hair to match the era.

Unknowingly, Klaus's eyes light with a desire to see her dressed in such a thing. The twenties were some of his favorite years, for obvious reasons, and he thinks he might not have survived encountering a woman like Salem if they met all those years ago. He can barely survive her now, as is.

His curiosity gets the best of him, and momentarily he forgets his original agenda when addressing her. "That looks authentic, darling, it's a shame to see it go to waste."

"Ha ha, very funny," She pointed a finger at him, grinning sharply. "I am going to do my job because I have only recently left my deathbed and I really don't think the school is going to give me another week off."

"You and Rebekah are delusional if you think we're staying in this town for another second. We burned the last white oak stake, and once we gather Elena, we're leaving."

Salem furrows her brows, all of Klaus's words hitting her at once. "I haven't even seen Rebekah since last night, for one, and since when are we leaving Mystic Falls? That was never brought up in conversation, Klaus, and even if it were, I certainly wouldn't agree to it!"

Klaus opens his mouth to retort, but Salem cuts him off before he can say anything. "I have a job, and a life here, Klaus– we have a life here. I can't just leave it all behind because you've decided you've had your fill. Despite what you may think, not everyone is as capable of abandoning things as you are."

The hybrid scoffs at her words. "Are we really going to have this conversation now, Salem? There's far more pressing matters at hand, one would think."

She twists her lips into a smile that holds more hostility than he thought was possible for a smile, and he resists making a comment about it. "You're right, Klaus. I have to get ready for the dance, and you– well, you'll just do whatever you want like always."