Chapter Eight

Gabriel

The morning arrived gradually, offering me plenty of chances to escape the painful rays of sunshine that eventually peeked over the horizon. Yet I remained, willing to suffer the discomfort for a look at Rose in the daylight. It painted her gold, like she was a monument forged from the precious metal to honor a queen in repose. It traced her nude form, wove yellow thread into her dark hair. When she finally roused, a pair of golden dots reflected in her eyes.

Rose smiled up at me. "How long have you been staring at me?" she asked.

"Not nearly long enough."

Her smile broadened. "You're a real Cassanova, you know that?"

"And you're Aphrodite."

I ran my hand along her body, from her shoulder to the curve of her hip and on down her leg. Then I brought it back slowly until I reached her face and traced her lips with my fingers. A look of pleasure was disrupted by a realization. "Gabriel," she said in an urgent tone, "the sun!"

I glanced skyward where the bright orb was hung. I could feel its effect in my body, an ache in my muscles, a cold sweat on my skin. A reminder of what sickness once felt like, before flus and colds and viruses lost their bite. "It's alright," I reassured her. "I won't turn to dust."

She wiped the perspiration from my face. "Doesn't it hurt?"

"Whatever pain the sun brings is outmatched by your beauty in its radiance."

She nestled close to me and we laid in the grass for a short while longer before redressing and heading back to the mansion. "I guess I threw your sleep schedule off," she said as we entered the kitchen.

"I'm adaptable," I told her, opening the fridge. Privately, I considered that I could endure a permanent change if I had to, in order to accommodate my human lover. An unwitting plan to subsume Rose into my life had been set in motion, the machinations of my brain bent on fulfilling its mission. Over breakfast, I began consciously setting my intentions. Over drinks, I learned about her life, its frustrations and let-downs. Knowing I had more to offer, I wanted to enrich her life by cutting ties with what dragged her down so that she might flourish under my care. After one night with her, I was taken with her. In some cosmic sense, it felt like she'd been sent to fill the whole left behind by Josephine. And though I realized she was not Josephine, their matching visages were more than mere coincidence.

Over the course of the next week, I set my plan into motion. My first task was bringing Rose's mother to the mansion. After paying for Theresa's medical bills, I arranged for her relocation. The process was easier than expected once I visited with Theresa myself and explained to her who I was. I sat beside her in the ICU, holding her hand in mine, as I related to her how I came to meet her daughter. I told her I was looking after Rose, that a bad man was out to get her, but the rest of it was a false story, omitting my vampiric identity. When I finished she looked at me with a smirk and a sparkle in her eye and said, "Boloney."

"Beg your pardon, ma'am?"

"You heard me, son. You're very handsome, and I'll bet that charm masks the truth for most people, but I see right through it."

I smiled back at her. "Your daughter shares your same intuition."

"I know she does. That's why I trust her with you, 'cuz she sees folks for who they are."

"And who am I?" I inquired, leaning closer.

"A gentleman," she replied, "but not human. I've encountered one or two like you before, something askew I sense in the air about them. New Orleans has long been home to different types of people, and I'm not just talking about cultures. Maybe a few you're unaware of, too."