Chapter Nine

Rose

Mom took in the realization that our hosts were vampires with her characteristic nonchalance. I guess she had already sussed out something was askew during her first chat with Gabriel, so she was primed by the time she witnessed Sabina evaporating into black shadow. It was her second day living in the mansion and as she stepped out of her bedroom into the hall, she saw the flirty vampire suddenly dissolve, slither along the wall, then reform at the staircase. I was with her and expected, perhaps foolishly, for her to say something like, Gee willickers! or What in tarnation? Probably neither of those, exactly, but something to their effect.

Instead, what she said was, "Well, isn't that neat?"

"Terrified me the first time I saw it," I told her.

"When was that?"

"When Gabriel snuck into your hospital room."

Mom rubbed her thumb against my cheek. "That's because you were looking out for me, sweetie. You were already on high alert."

"Sure," I said, "that, and the fact that a man appeared from a literal shadow."

From that moment forward, Mom seemed to blend right into her new environment, as though she'd been living amongst vampires her entire life. It was a marvel to see, and a sort of example she set for myself. If a sixty-five year old woman who'd hardly ever stepped foot beyond New Orleans city limits could make herself comfortable among literal bloodsuckers, who was I to suggest this was perverse?

She said as much one night when I came to say goodnight to her. "You know, Rose, I can tell you're holding back."

I sat on the edge of her bed while she pulled the covers up around her. "What do you mean?"

She gave me a look like I knew exactly. "You know I've always been proud of you. When you went to the police academy, I thought, 'My, she's going to make a fine policewoman.' When you made detective, I couldn't have been more elated. But I'm going to tell you something, sweetie. The world is a very big place, and while you might make any corner of it comfortable for yourself, there's only one true place where you belong. Most people never find out where that is. Many spend their whole lifetimes in search of it, because they've got a calling. Their soul speaks to them and they're tormented by its incessant voice. I always knew your place wouldn't be like anybody else's. You were always meant for something truly unique. And while I didn't know exactly where it was, I prayed you would find it, and that when you found it, you would have the courage to accept it. Rose, I know there's a part of you that's telling you this is where you belong." She smiled now, the sort of knowing smile one shows around someone they know to be in love. "That boy, Gabriel—"

"Mom, you know he's well over twice your age."

She took my hand and held it between hers. "That don't change the fact he's a boy. Remember this, what's immortal never has to grow up. That'll help you in your relationship."

I could feel blush flooding my cheeks. "Mom," I said, embarrassed. Although, it was no secret around the house that Gabriel and I shared his bed. I guess it was just awkward talking about it with my own mother.

"You do love him, don't you?" she asked, the look in her eye deadly serious.

I searched my heart for the answer, expecting it to be difficult to find. Instead, it leapt to the fore with unbridled enthusiasm. Yes! it proclaimed. How it could be that I had fallen in love in so short a time was beyond me. But I thought of the way I felt when he kissed me, as though two broken halves were fitting together every time our lips joined. Fate. That word bubbled up, too, unbidden. Was there such a thing? Learning about the existence of vampires broke open a whole world of possibilities.