Chapter LX.

'Are we still going to Shuko's school festival together?' I asked Tsunan, as he was putting on his shoes to leave for work in the morning of the following day.

Flashback

Four days ago...

'I've made Onigiri for you,' I said to Tsunan with a cheerful smile, as I came out of the house to head for the train station. 'I know that you like Onigiri!'

'Thank you for the attention!' he told me. 'And take care of yourself, okay? Don't take any unnecessary risks!'

I nodded, with another smile. I was about to turn away when he began to say, 'Also...'

I paused, looking back at him.

'I wanted to ask you... Do you want us to go to Shuko's school festival together?'

The teenaged girl had invited everyone at the organization to come.

'I mean, if you're back from mission by then?'

'Yes. I'll be very pleased to accompany you,' I murmured, gazing at him and blushing.

***

Shuko's school festival was for today.

'Yes, of course,' he answered, with a gentle look.

I smiled happily and handed him his bag, as he got to his feet to leave.

'Ittekimasu!'

'Itterasshai!'

***

In the late afternoon...

'Are you ready to leave?' asked Tsunan when I came down into the living room and he turned around to face me.

'Yes,' I replied, and found him watching me intently.

'You're wearing the lipstick that I gifted you. It suits you well.'

I lowered my eyes and blushed.

Something occurred to me, suddenly.

'Say,' I murmured, hesitantly. 'Do you- Do you find that my dual-colored eyes make me resemble... a monster?'

'What?!' He sounded shocked. 'Of course, not! What takes over you to say such a thing?'

'Oh no, nothing! Forget it!' I whispered, feeling a bit uncomfortable for having asked him this question. I was about to make past him when he grabbed my lower arm, causing me to stop and look at him in the eyes.

'Shun! You can believe me! I find you very beautiful!'

I stared at him, my face heated up at his words. After a minute, I looked down shyly and my eyes fell onto his bandaged hand which was still on my lower arm.

'Does your hand hurt you a lot?' I inquired, with deep concern. The cut was quite profound.

'No. And you, your injuries?'

'I'm fine,' I replied, with a smile, meeting his eyes again.

***

A short while later...

Toda High School was the only high school of the town.

It was in this very high school that Tsunan had followed his studies, in the same way as several other members of the organization.

There was one of a crowd at the festival.

The courtyard of the school has been transformed into a fair and a podium has been set on the outdoor playground where students held group performances.