Chapter - 2

The Laughing Stock

⊹•º·⊹

Heavenly Realm, 1404

Ding! Dong! Ding! Dong!

"What is this? Another ascension?"

"It seems like someone is ascending!"

"Let's see who this lucky fellow is!"

"The bell won't stop ringing!"

"My palace! My Palace has been toppled!"

"Whoever this person is, their cultivation base must be very strong."

"I wonder who it is?"

"What if it's the Prince of Luoyang? The same thing happened when he ascended!"

"Stop saying his name. Why would you bring up that fool at a time like this? Besides, you weren't even here during his ascension!"

"How long will this ascension last?! It's been 3 minutes!"

"The Bell! The bell has fallen!"

"Who the hell is this person?!"

The blinding light fades slowly, as the person comes into view. Grey eyes flicker open as they take in the surroundings. The people gathered at the ascension point stare in horror, and incredulity as they all yell the same.

"You again?!"

"Not again!"

"You must be jesting!"

"This has to be a joke!"

The man wearing faded robes rubs the back of his head as he smiles sheepishly at the disappointed crowd. Yáng Zhèng Yuán, birth name Jungwon, The Crown Prince of Luoyang, had just ascended for the third time, again.

"Hello everyone, I have returned... again."

.

"Greetings Your Royal Highness the Crown Prince, I congratulate you on coming first on our list of 'Heaven's Officials who will be demoted and banished the quickest' at your return." The Prince turns around from where he had been looking at the fallen bell split in half.

He faces Quán Sù Yán, birth name Soyeon, The goddess of Literature, who stands with her arms crossed. The Prince flashes a nervous smile.

"No matter how you say it, it's still first place. If you're congratulating me then it must be a position worth being happy about?" Jungwon asks, uncertain.

Soyeon stated, "Yes if you're first, you get one hundred merits."

Jungwon responds immediately, "Next time, if there is another list like this, then by all means, please put me on it."

Soyeon doesn't even blink an eye and asks instead, "Do you know who is in second place?"

Jungwon crosses his arms with his forefinger stroking his chin. "It's too hard to guess. After all, with strength alone, I should be the one occupying the top three places."

Soyeon turns to walk, "You are more or less right. There is no second place. After all, the moment you started, others could only see your dust with no hopes of ever catching up." Jungwon followed behind, his hands crossed at his back as he kept pace with Soyeon.

"I don't dare accept the honor, Sù Yán. Who was the first-place winner for the previous years?" Jungwon asks.

Soyeon looks at him over her shoulder as she answers in a polite voice, "There was no one. This list was created this year. More specifically, today."