54

54

🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕

after breakfast, stanley stands by the sink, having volunteered to wash the dishes after bill had cooked for the both of them. he scrubs the pan from the pancakes under the stream of warm water, sunlight filtering in through the kitchen window and beating down on his face.

"how are you feeling?"

once the soap is gone, stan adds the pan to the pile of clean dishes on the drying rack, flipping the faucet off and reaching for the hand towel.

"much better than before," he answers. the food, mixed with ibuprofen and all the water he'd drank, had caused his nausea to subside. aside from a lingering headache, he can feel the effects of the alcohol wearing off. "breakfast helped. thank you for cooking. you didn't have to do that."

"thank you for tidying up," bill answers, watching stan dry his hands. "you didn't have to do that."

the curly haired boy leans back against the counter. "it's the least i could do. especially after yesterday."

bill shakes his head, a faint smile appearing as he lifts himself up to sit on the island across from stanley. "i already told you, it was no big deal."

"oh, it most definitely was a big deal," stanley argues, his cheeks going red. he looks down at the ground to hide his face. "i'm sorry. i'm not usually like that."

"i know," bill dismisses his concern. "but it's okay, there's no reason to be sorry. we've all been there."

"not me. i don't drink, and i'm never out of control like that."

"like i've told you, you work far too hard. you deserve to let loose once in a while," bill pauses for a moment. then, deciding he'd let stanley off without teasing for long enough, he adds in a playful tone, "and anyway, if you hadn't, who would've known you're the best pong player at the school?"

stanley can't help the laugh that pushes past his lips as he shakes his head. "shut up."

bill grins as the room falls into a comfortable silence. stanley's eyes are downcast once again, but there's still the ghost of a smile on his face, and bill takes note of the dimples that appear. he'd never noticed them before, but they're prominent, and he can't help but stare. the sun from the window illuminates half of stan's face, casting him in a pale yellow glow, and when he looks up, the light reflects in his dark eyes.

they make eye contact, causing bill's heart to stop, and he clears his throat, embarrassed, both because he had likely been caught staring and even more so because he had been staring in the first place.

"hey," he says, trying to shake himself out of the stupor he'd been lost in. his voice draws stan's attention, who stands up a bit straighter. "can i ask you something?"

stanley's eyebrows furrow and he nods.

"why did you come to the party, anyway? don't get me wrong, i'm glad you did. but i had no idea you'd changed your mind about going until eddie mentioned he'd seen you."

"oh," stanley's shoulders slump and he draws his bottom lip between his teeth to chew on it, a nervous habit. "my dad and i got into a bit of a fight yesterday."

he looks like he's unsure if he should elaborate, but when he realizes that bill listens intently, he continues.

"he's been having me rework that college essay over and over. he wanted me home so he could hover while i fixed it again. it was stressing me out so i snapped at him and he started yelling. it got pretty bad so i left. i took a bottle of vodka from his liquor cabinet and started walking. i hadn't realized where i was going until i ended up at the party, and by that time i was already tipsy. then i ran into richie and...you know the rest."

he shifts uncomfortably, waiting for a response. he's not sure what to expect, but when bill's voice comes out gentle and supportive, he's surprised nonetheless.

"i'm sorry to hear that," he says, and his expression is nothing if not sympathetic.

stan shrugs, attempting to brush it off. "it's fine, i'm used to it. i've never stood up to him or stormed off before, though, and i didn't know how to deal with him in the state i was in. so thanks for letting me spend the night."

"any time," bill says without a moment of hesitation. "seriously, stanley. i'm here, you know, if you need anything."

"thanks," stan offers a half-hearted smile. "but i've got to deal with him at some point. i should head home now."

bill wants to continue the conversation, to know him, his life, better. but he's already learned more about stan in the past twenty four hours than he'd ever expected to know, and he doesn't want to push it. instead, as they head to the front door, he simply asks, "want a drive?"

"i'm okay. the fresh air should do me good. give me time to think of what i'm going to say. but thank you," stan says as he pulls it open and steps out onto the porch. "for everything."

the football player smiles, hand on the handle. "like i said, any time."

stanley nods, heading down the porch steps. bill is about to close the door when stan turns back at the last moment, a look of hesitation drawn across his face as if he's contemplating what he should say next. "and bill?"

bill raises his eyebrows in curiosity. "hmm?"

there's a long pause. averted eye contact. and then, "you are a really great friend."

before bill can respond, stanley is down the driveway, heading in the direction of his own house without looking back.

bill can't suppress the smile that blooms on his face and he watches the figure of his friend fade into the distance.

🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕

awww