Chapter 2.

The priests of Yacumama gave an anesthetic infusion to the seven-year-old boy, the little boy fell asleep and was placed on top of a donkey and walked down a narrow and difficult path towards a riverbed, local birds took to the skies from time to time. Lark and Planc followed the aboriginal spy along with hunters Yamamoto Ōkawa Heikichi, the grandson of Yamamoto Heikichi, the man who hunted "Kesagake", Japan's killer bear that killed 8 people in one week, in the village of Sankebetsu, in 1915... and Jonathan "John" Corbett, grandson of Jim Corbett, the man who hunted the Champawat Tigress, who killed 436 people in Nepal in 1907 and who the Nepalese army could not find without the help of Corbett, plus ten other hunters, all of them sought out and hired at the personal demand of Ethan Lark. The priests prayed and went further into the jungle.

-Damn, how much longer will they go inside-Lark complained, wiping her forehead. After an hour, the small caravan of ten priests stopped on a cobblestone in the middle of the green jungle near the river, the jungle was so green and dark that it seemed the same night... assorted by hundreds of shades derived from the color green and a variety of countless insects. The men took the sleeping child down and laid it on the stone altar, then they stood aside and waited...

Plants creaked, branches on the ground snapped, a forked tongue tasted the air with a tiny flicker, the scaly shadow saturated with little black coins that shimmered from the little threads of light that traversed the broad leaves, twisted against each other and then on. In the midst of the darkness those yellow eyes appeared, no black pupil was visible in them, the huge 50 cm wide head made its way through the bushes and was discovered before the priests.

-Holy Mother of God... it's the Devil-broke the silence Paulo, a hunter.

-Shut up, idiot-Planc corrected him.

-Jesus Christ, it's the original serpent, the cursed one that deceived Eve-Paulo said as if to end his terror and crossed himself. The Yacumama rested its ventral scales on the ground and very slowly, articulated its chain of powerful muscles and swinging its head, advanced to the cobblestone... the reptile was a very large animal and at the same time, extremely slow... yes, Contrary to what many believe, it was too slow, but that slowness was compensated by an enormous force... the widest part of its body would have measured 1 meter, the enormous boa opened its snout to devour the boy.

-Now!-ordered Planc and the group of hunters opened fire on the priests killing them and Yacumama, perceiving the threat, threw his head back and retracted his body in a defensive position, the hunters were frightened, Paulo was in shock, Planc fired the first dart into the scaly back, Yacumama stretched his neck and closed his jaws on Paulo's calf, sinking his series of pointed teeth like needles into the flesh, then, he wrapped himself around his legs, making him fall and immediately, he curled up. In his body, the young Paulo screamed in pain and terror, uselessly hitting the hard, cold meat of his mouth and scratching the ground to get free.

-Shoot stupid!-Planc yelled at his colleagues who were shaking their arms while holding their rifles, they seemed like frightened children, they fired seven darts at Yacumama, three missed, the boa imprisoned its victim with its hundreds of muscles and began to to press, every moment he felt a breath from Paulo, he pressed even harder to suffocate him.

-It doesn't work!-Yamamoto yelled, Planc took the rifle from the barrel and began to hit the boa on the head with the butt, he was also trying to put a knife in its muzzle to open it, the other nine men imitated him and all discharged him butts to the animal.

-You fools are going to kill her!-Lark demanded, pushing Charles Planc.

-Shut up, Lark, stay out of the way!-Planc yelled, pushing him away. Yacumama gave up and released the dying and bursting young man and tried to flee through the jungle, the hunters followed him and in the race, they threw themselves on her, hugging her to stop her, but the animal kept advancing and dragging them in its escape... the titanic boa He came near a source of water, the river.

-Don't let her enter the water, she'll fall asleep and drown!-Charles Planc ordered, tying a rope to the upper part of her snout and all of them pulled her to get her out of the water... now in a more coordinated way, the fourteen men. .. the indigenous spy, Heikichi, Corbett, the nine hunters (because Paulo had died), as well as Charles Planc and even Ethan Lark himself... lay down on the great reptile and held it with all their might... Yacumama he struggled to get rid of them... until little by little, he gave in to the doses of tranquilizers and stopped moving.

-Damn, another dead, another compensation that I will have to pay-Lark protested throwing himself face up in the mud, the hunters looked at him already tired and dropped to the ground to rest.