Chapter 6

Nà Yuè Huā POV

With meticulous care, I adorned my hair with delicate ornaments, each piece strategically placed to catch the flickering candlelight just so. Beside them, a pot of rouge awaited, its crimson hue a promise of allure yet to be unveiled. I applied it sparingly, ensuring my lips held a subtle invitation, a hint of mystery beneath their scarlet sheen.

A soft knock interrupted my preparations, heralding the arrival of a flower bud—a novice, too timid to venture beyond the threshold of my chamber.

"Head Lady Nà," she addressed me respectfully.

"Proceed," I replied without turning from the mirror, my voice calm and unwavering.

With a hushed acknowledgment, she retreated, her footsteps fading into the hush of the night. I took a slender piece of paper, pressing it to my lips to absorb any excess rouge, then carefully positioned my weimao—a traditional hair adornment—upon my head. Rising gracefully, I left the quiet solitude of my chamber.

Outside, the summer night embraced me with its cool embrace, the moon hanging like a watchful guardian in the indigo sky. As I walked towards the courtyard, the faint sounds of revelry grew louder, mingling with the rustle of leaves stirred by the gentle breeze. The air carried the faint scent of jasmine and musk, a delicate perfume that spoke of forbidden pleasures and secret rendezvous.

Approaching the courtyard, I passed through a sea of laughter and music. Flower girls flitted among patrons, their laughter like cascading notes of a melody, their smiles like fleeting promises. The clients were ensnared by their charm, drawn into a world where fantasy and reality blurred, where desires were met with a practiced grace that masked the turmoil beneath.

Unperturbed by the whispers and glances that followed my every step, I navigated through the gathering, my presence commanding respect and intrigue. The flower girls, in their vibrant silks and shimmering ornaments, bowed respectfully as I passed, their gazes lingering with curiosity and reverence.

"Head Lady Nà," Lady Tiānhuā, my trusted counterpart and the only other head lady of the establishment, greeted me with a knowing smile. Her poise and confidence reassured me as she led the way towards a secluded area reserved for esteemed guests—a sanctuary within the sanctuary known as Haven.

Following Tiānhuā through the parted crowd, we ascended a platform overlooking a majestic waterfall. Its cascading waters shimmered in the moonlight, casting a mesmerizing glow over the surrounding foliage. The atmosphere was one of tranquility and secrecy, a hidden oasis amidst the lively revelry below.

Stopping at the edge of the private section, I motioned for Tiānhuā to pause as we overheard murmurs and laughter drifting from the gathering below. Peering through the dense foliage, I observed Lord Zhang and his retinue seated around a lavish table, immersed in feasting and merriment. The flower girls and their apprentices attended to their every whim, offering wine and entertainment amidst a backdrop of flickering lanterns and soft music.

Si Feng, Lord Zhang's trusted attendant , poured wine into crystal goblets, offering toasts and exchanging laughter with his comrades. Lord Zhang himself sat at the center, his presence commanding attention as he raised a goblet in a gesture of celebration.

Satisfied that the moment was ripe, I exchanged a glance with Tiānhuā before stepping into the secluded area. Lord Zhang's gaze locked onto me as I approached the platform with measured grace.

"And who do we have here?" he inquired with a hint of amusement, his eyes narrowing with curiosity.

"Nà Yuè Huā, my lord," I replied with a respectful bow, my voice carrying a soft but confident tone.