Chapter 10: First Companion

Renault was showing off his magic as an early riser. He kept boasting about his talents and noble lineage. Suddenly something went past Bowen and hit Renault's head. Renault lost his balance and fell down on his ass with a thud. The group managed to find the culprit, who was a tiny little bird. The bird had orange feathers and a white beak; some of its feathers were starting to turn red. It had a unique violet feather crest on its head and four sharp red eyes, two on each side. Its legs were too short and almost got hidden under its fat belly. That little ball of fur had fallen and started chirping loudly due to collision.

"It's a stylus," said melee.

" Stylus?" other kids asked in confusion.

"That's Right. I have heard my father talk about it. They are one of the fastest-flying birds found on this continent. They may look small and dumb, but did you know that they can share their vision with their master? When they are grown up, they are used for scouting missions."

Renault looked greedily at the bird. But Jago was a step faster, running to catch the bird. Others also started to run behind him. The little bird, scared by the commotion, took a faster flight than before. After 2 minutes, the children lost track of the bird.

"What do we do now?" asked Jago

"I don't want to return empty-handed. I will definitely catch it today" said Renault.

"No, it's not safe, let's return back," said melee.

"Why are you so scared when an awakener is with you?" asked Renault proudly.

"I don't care what you guys do. I am going back" said melee, and she started walking back to their gathering place.

"Bowen, we must also go back. Mother will be angry if she saw us missing" suggested Jago.

"Jago, you go and wait with me. Let me try to catch the bird for a little more time." Said Bowen

"Bowen, Are you going to compete with Renault?" Asked Jago

Renault became furious that he had to compete with a lowly commoner kid.

"Bowen, give up; you can never match me" said Renault.

"It's not a competition; I'm just trying my luck. It has nothing to do with you. Whoever catches the bird claims ownership," declared Bowen.

"Is that so? I will make you understand the power of noble blood today." Saying that Renault started to run to his right.

Bowen's enhanced senses had alerted him to the fact that Renault was in the wrong direction, and so he took off in the opposite direction, where he could hear the bird's chirping more clearly. After running for another 5 minutes, he finally found the little fur ball sitting on a low branch. But just as Bowen was about to catch the bird, it took flight again, and the chase began anew. It was like a never-ending game of cat and mouse, with Bowen struggling to keep up and the bird darting left and right, always just out of reach.

Eventually, Bowen grew tired, but he refused to give up. The bird was clearly exhausted as well, but it still managed to evade him at every turn. Finally, it landed on a high tree, just out of reach. Bowen knew he had to act fast if he wanted to catch the bird, but his mana vessel was incomplete, and he couldn't produce a complete mana ball or net. Undeterred, he decided to hit the bird with a clumsy mana cluster instead.

Bowen pointed his hand in the direction of the bird. He started circulating mana from his incomplete vessel to the palm of his hand. A clumsy light blue cluster of mana particles formed which then started traveling towards the bird. The bird became alert, and just when Bowen was expecting a hit the mana ball suddenly slowed down, took a parabolic Arc, and pathetically fell down in front of the tree on which the stylus was sitting. [umm.. ..well, it's the first time after all] telling this Bowen started to prepare for the second hit. But alas this one was no better than the first. Soon it found its place near the first mana cluster. [This time for sure, yup sure] said Bowen and threw to third one. It was worse than other two. Soon fourth fifth sixth mana clusters started pooling before the tree. Some of the earlier ones almost dispersed. The stylus kept seeing Bowen with confused look on its face as if saying "what is this dumb guy doing?" Bowen only had 15% of his mana remaining. [ seems like i should give up] thought Bowen and prepared to return back. He had turned around and taken a few steps, some loud chirping noise of the stylus reached his ears.