Chapter 3 - Boss fight

TW: Some mentions of blood and violence (most chapters will probably have a little)

'Phew. That last room was a little difficult.'

Zagreus said, wiping a few drops of sweat from his forehead. The other two boys, meanwhile, were doubled over and panting.

'A  little difficult?! There were so many monsters... but they were gone so quickly. I don't even understand how you can move that fast, even if you are a god! It was... amazing but also terrifying.'

Will exclaimed. Zagreus scratched the back of his neck sheepishly.

'Just... lots of practice, I guess? And... I'm not a god of anything, okay?'

A sudden growl came from the darkness before them. The noise was low and scratchy, as if it came from somebody who hadn't drunk anything in a very, very long time. Will jumped, readying his weapon again. Everything here spooked him, and for good reason, but Nico seemed to recognize who it was. 

'Don't worry. Look, it's just Charon.'

Zagreus told the anxious blonde, and they all walked forward to reveal that the growl did indeed come from the mysterious Stygian boatman. Will breathed a sigh of relief, and Zagreus laughed.

'No more fighting. Well, for a little bit, at least.'

He made his way over to the goods Charon supplied, and quickly checked how many obols he had. 

278... that should get me something.

Floating upon the pedestals as if by magic were two blessings - one from Dionysus, one from Aphrodite - and a small food item for healing. Only then did Zag realize that he was bleeding from several cuts on his arms and torso, and that they had started to sting a little. He grabbed the food, quickly devouring it and watching as his wounds magically sealed up.

Now whose blessing should I take?

'Wait. Is that Dionysus?'

Nico asked, tilting his head.

'Um... yeah? Why do you ask?'

'It's just that... he's up at Camp Half-Blood right now... or he should be. How is that supposed to work? I thought he was being punished.'

'I don't think he's ever mentioned it to me. I have no idea how it works, but he's obviously still allowed to give me blessings.'

'Hm. Interesting.'

'Listen, though. If Dionysus really is at your little camp, and I manage to get you back, you can't mention the fact that I helped you. Or that I manage to escape most times. Don't ask why. Can you two promise me that?'

Will and Nico glanced at each other, then back at Zagreus. Curiosity was lit in their eyes, but they both nodded.

'We won't tell him.'

'Swear on the River Styx.'

'We... we swear on the River Styx.'

'Good. Now we've wasted enough time here, don't you think? Just let me do this and then we can move on.'

Zagreus made up his mind, touching the pink orb. It lit up similarly to Artemis's, and there stood a faded version of the goddess of love. She smiled at him.

"You spent your hard-earned wealth on my account, dearest? Why if that isn't just the sweetest thing!"

Spreading her arms, three boons appeared. He decided on Heartbreak Flourish, and Aphrodite vanished, leaving behind the faint smell of roses.