Chapter 7 - Toil and trouble

'No time to explain, we just have to go. Hold on!'

Zagreus didn't give the boys any time to object before he grabbed them both, hoisting them over his shoulders like sacks of flour and stepping off of the raft. He was just in time, too, as it was hit by another purple ball, causing it to break apart and sink. The nearest bit of land wasn't too far away... But any time spent standing on lava obviously takes its toll. Cursing once again as another purple ball from their mysterious assailants sailed past, Zagreus dashed to solid ground and deposited the boys behind a rocky outcrop. He also crouched behind it, breathing heavily. 

'It's the Witches' Circle... four Elite Spreaders. Do either of you remember reading about them?'

'Um... Nico?'

'Yeah, I remember. We can help this time.'

The god hesitated for a moment before answering. He scratched the back of his neck and glanced at them, huddled behind the rock with their weapons drawn.

'I don't think that's the best idea...'

'We'll be fine. We've fought with Kronos, Gaia, a crazy Roman Augur, countless monsters, and that's just off of the top of my head. I think we'll be okay going up against four old witches.'

'I still-'

'Look, if we die, I'll make sure to tell Hades that it wasn't your fault. But Will and I will be fine.'

Zagreus thought about it for a good few seconds, before nodding reluctantly.

'Fine. But be really careful, okay? We still have to go through Lernie later, and I doubt we'll be lucky enough to run into a fountain before that. Even if we do... I know you have your nectar, but that's all there is for healing. I don't want either of you getting hurt, severely or otherwise.'

'Who's- you know what, nevermind. We'll be careful.'

'Alright. Go... Now!'

On his signal, Nico jumped out from behind the outcrop of rock and landed nimbly behind one of the witches. Will shot it in the back, and when it turned, Nico slashed at it with his blade. It shrieked, raising its staff, but Will shot it again and it crumbled to dust before it could fire. Nico dashed over to the next one. Zagreus, who was now satisfied that he could leave to fight the others without them getting hurt, also turned to one of the remaining witches and jumped at it, striking it with Malphon. 

The chamber was cleared remarkably quickly with the demigods helping. Injuries were minimal, save for a small cut on Nico's cheek, the burns Zagreus had gained from standing on the lava and taking those hits from the witches, and a scrape on Will's knee. He sighed, running a hand through his hair. 

'I admit, maybe I did underestimate you two a little. You guys make a good team, you know that?'

Will smiled, slinging his arm around Nico's shoulders.

'I guess it's just the power of love~'

Nico, instead of shrugging him off or swatting him as he usually did, actually gave a small smile and sighed, kissing his boyfriend on the cheek. Will gasped dramatically at this action.

'I guess it must be.' 

'Who are you, and what have you done with my Nico- ow, I'm sorry!'

'Hmph. Don't push it. You are my significant annoyance, remember?' 

Sorry for a short chapter this time, I promise the next one will be longer. More feelings stuff to come!