Chapter 22

Fast forward- May 2019
Thea graduated college and has been teaching High School Astronomy ever since.

(just wanna clarify this relationship is only temporary, don't stop reading because you don't like this person. I just needed someone I didn't care to hurt.)

I'm sound asleep when my phone starts ringing. It's 4:30am, who is calling me at 4:30 in the morning.

Unknown number

"Who are you? And why are you calling me?"

I hear a laugh, "that's how you greet an old friend?"

"Oh my God. Caroline? I'm so sorry. How are you?"

She laughs, "it's okay. I should have texted first. I'm good. And yourself?"

"I am doing well."

She hums for a second, "I'm glad. Would you ever consider coming back to Mystic Falls?"

"Possibly. Why do you ask?"

She breaths out, "so as you might know, Alaric and I have opened up a school. And I was wondering if you would be interested in teaching here? I know you've been teaching astronomy in Charleston."

I chuckle for a second, "you want me to teach in Mystic Falls? What kind of school did you open?"

"A school for magical children. Werewolves, vampires, witches. And we thought it would be amazing to have come teach here."

I chuckle again, "yes. A million times, yes. I would absolutely love to teach at your school."

She cheers and then sighs, "yay! So we'll see you here soon?"

"Yep. See you soon, Caroline."

When I get back to town, the first thing I do is knock on Caroline's door. She squeals when she sees me, "hi! Welcome home!"

I smile at her, "hi. I've missed you guys! Where are the twins?"

She takes me to the twins and smiles at them as I walk in, "this is a dear friend of mine." She looks at me and smiles, "and also your Aunt. Her name is Thea."

They talk to me for a few minutes until Alaric comes in, "I see you've met, Thea. Glad to have you back."

I walk up and hug him, "hi, Alaric."

I talk with them for a few minutes, then stand up, "I should probably go talk with my father and stepmother. And then I need to go apartment hunting."

Caroline stands and gives me a nervous smile, "don't be mad. But I kinda compelled the owner of your old apartment to give it back to you. I know how much you loved it there?"

"Do I have to pay rent?"

She nods her head, "yes? Do you want me to compel them to just let you live there?"

I shake my head with a laugh, "no. This is great. Thank you, Caroline."

She smiles at me and hands me her key, "it's no problem. Have fun talking to your family."

I walk to my "parents" house and smile at my Dad as he opens the door. We now tell people that he adopted me after our parents died, but I'm really his sister. That way it's easier to explain why I'm "only 7 years younger than him." It gives a believable story as to why I call him Dad and people don't question it as much.

"Thea. I didn't know you were in town."

I smile at him, "hi, Dad. How's Elena? Still knocked up?"

"Yes. She is. But don't say that. She's moody." He says the last part with a slightly higher pitch causing me to laugh.