Chapter Six

I sling my backpack over my shoulder and bend over to pick up my bulging suitcase. I grunt as it moves inches from the ground.

"What the cheese?" I mutter. "Why is this thing so-"

"ROSE!" My dad calls from downstairs. I drop the suitcase in defeat.

Suitcase : 1 - Rose : 0

"I'll get you next time..." I mumble, glaring at the suitcase. I massage my sore palms as I skip down stairs. "What's up, dad?" I ask, swinging off of the lounge doorframe to steer myself into the room.

Immediately my highly trained senses pick up the sense of...waffles and...maple syrup.

"Rose?" My dad's head pops out from behind the kitchen doorframe. "I made waffles, do you want to sit?" I walk into the kitchen and sit down at the table, picking up my fork and twirling it around my fingers.

Dad walks towards me wearing my mom's pink frilly apron. He's holding two plates piled with waffles and maple syrup. I get up and grab my plate from him when I notice it start to slip from his hands.

"What's the occasion?" I ask when we're both sat down.

"I figured you might want a nice breakfast, I mean you're going away today and contrary to what you may believe, I will miss you." Replies my dad.

"Aw, daddy I know you will miss me I just-" I pause and sigh. "I just think you could use some time to yourself, to grieve properly. Y'know?" I tilt my head to the side and feel my hair fall over my shoulders. Pushing a strand behind my ear, I stand up and walk over to my dads chair. Slowly I bend over, enveloping him in a large hug.

"I love you dad, I really do." My words are muffled in his shoulder but judging by his subtle sniffle I think he heard me.

"Right then munchkin." Dad exclaims as he stands up, I notice him wipe a tear from his eye. "Let's get your suitcase to the car." He looks around before adding "Where is said suitcase?"

"We had a fight." I sigh. "The suitcase won..."

-- -- --

I slam the boot of the car...or try to. "DAD!!" I yell, clinging to the boot for dear life, sacred that if I let go my suitcase will come flying out.

*Click*

"Whats- HEY!" My dad is stood in front of me, taking photos of my failure. "No fair! I didn't consent!" I joke. Dad chuckles as he slips the camera in his pocket and comes to help me shut the boot. In one graceful swoop, he shuts it. Making it look as easy as...easy stuff.

"I loosened it for you." I mutter, frowning.

"Oh sure." Dad deadpans as he pats me on the head.

I climb into the passenger seat and buckle my seatbelt up.

Safety first.

"Alright kiddo." Dad sighs as he settles in the drivers seat. "Camp 'icey fun skates' here we come!"

"It's just ice palace, dad." I sigh while biting back a grin.

-- -- --

The journey lasts about an hour and a half, well an hour and 40 mins...I made dad stop off and buy me coffee...

-- -- --

After a long journey, filled with dad's 80's music we finally arrive at Ice Palace. The site is huge and the buildings are gorgeous.

"Oh my gosh..." I mutter as I slowly climb out of the car, taking in the buildings. Through some windows to my left, I can see an ice rink twice the size of any rink I've ever performed on. I freeze in my place as I am hit with the realisation that, while I may be one of the best skaters back home, here, it's possible that I won't be anywhere near the best.