Chapter Four

When she woke up, everyone was there. Including Jamie.

"Ali-cat!" He squealed, jumping from Scott's lap and jumping into hers, wrapping his thin arms around her neck.

"Jamie! I missed you buddy," she said as she squeezed him with a hug. "Are you going to move back? You can live with us!" Jamie declared and Alison laughed, ruffling his hair.

"That's not a bad idea," Cory whispered locking his beautiful eyes on Alison. She stopped laughing and for a moment the world disappeared. It was just her and Cory. Her chest got tight under his steady gaze.

"That's not a bad idea," he repeated, his gaze never breaking away from Alison.

Alison shook her head and the world came back into focus. Violet was leaning a wall, smirking and Scott stifled a laugh. Alison's face burned and Cory had his hands through his chocolate brown hair.

"Okay, we can work out the details of where Alison can stay after the final battle," Cory said dramatically trying to lighten the atmosphere and attempting to regain control of the situation, "Right now we need to pull everything we know about Alex, or 'A'."

Alison shuddered. She wasn't used to having a name for the mysterious tormenter. Just a faceless terror. Cory cast her a quick look and she motioned for him to continue.

He hesitated briefly before the look came over his face. The look meant he had an idea. "Hey Alison, can you take Jamie to get ice cream or something? I don't want him e-x-p-o-s-e-d to this kind of stuff."

"Oh, come on! You know I can't spell!" Jamie protested, crossing his arms in a mock pouty way.

Alison laughed and grabbed his hand, "I think that's the point, Jamie." She said as she ruffled his hair, walking out the door.

The walk to the ice cream parlor was a short one, Jamie sticking close to her side.

"They're all staring at you," Jamie said quietly.

"Yeah, buddy. I know," she sighed, walking up to the counter.

They payed and ate, slowly making there way back to the hotel room.

"Alison! Perfect timing, we just finished up." Cory stated, arms circling her waist and face buried in her hair.

"You'll have to actually tell me the plan," Alison whispered, hugging him closer.

He nodded, "I know. But right now..." He pulled out a box from his pocket and opened it. Inside was a beautiful diamond necklace.

"Cory... How-"

"I pulled some extra shifts and saved a lot. Jamie helped me pick it out."

Alison took the necklace with shaky hands, "Babe... I can't accept this. It's too much, I'm not worth-"

He cut her off by slamming their lips together. "Don't you ever say that you're not worth it. You're worth every penny this cost. You're perfect."

Alison laughed, "I'm not perfect. No where near it."

"You are to me."

Alison closed her eyes and buried her face in his shirt. "Thank you Cory. And thank you Jamie," she smiled at the little boy who had stayed quiet during their exchange, "... I don't know what I'd do without you two."

"You'll never have to know, because I'll always be here," Cory mumbled into her hair.

"Me too!" Jamie said and wrapped his arms around them.

Alison closed her eyes. Tomorrow would suck. Tomorrow everything would change. But today was perfect, so she allowed herself to be held, felt his heart beat against hers.

"I love you..." She whispered.

"And I love you too. More than you know." He responded instantly.