Another Surprise

The house was eerily quiet when I entered, and for a moment, I wondered if the family had gone to a pre-Christmas church service. I hung up my coat in the closet by the front door, then padded across the foyer, noticing that someone, a hired hand probably, had added twinkling white lights to the Christmas tree. It loomed over me majestically, its bare branches waiting for adornment. I flashed to the little crooked tree at the prison where my mother remained, and my heart clenched. I made my way into the dining room. I hoped a dinner buffet waited for me, but when I entered, only darkness greeted me.

Had everyone eaton without me? It was still early.

I fumbled for the light switch, and when the chandelier above the table flared, the room came alive with squeals of "Surprise!" Suddenly little hands were pulling at me from all directions. For a moment, I thought it was some mistake, that I had stumbled into someone else's birthday party. Thoughts of Morningstar had so occupied my mind that I had forgotten all about my birthday. But someone remembered, and when I looked up from the net of squealing children, I realized that someone was Bentley, clapping his hands and gazing at me across the table with shining eyes.

"All right, children," announced Mrs. Roche gruffly as she entered the dining room carrying a lighted birthday cake, my birthday cake. The light from the candles did little to soften her scowl. But I didn't care. Mrs. Roche set the cake down on the table.

Aileen began to sing, "Happy birthday...."

"Wait for your mother," commanded Mrs. Roche. But it was too late. The song had begun, and there was no stopping little Aileen, Lilly, and Peyton. Bentley sang in an exaggerated bass tone that made me giggle. Mrs. Roche rolled her eyes as she pushed through the swing door before the song was finished. I guess not even a birthday could lighten her mood.

"Make a wish!" Lilly shouted, followed by the rest of the children, who jumped up and down, repeating, "Make a wish! Make a wish!"

"Yes, Ivy. Make a wish." Bentley was beside me now. He wore a green wool sweater that matched the hue of his eyes. When I leaned over to blow out the candles, his hand found its way to the back of my waist and stayed there. Closing my eyes, I wished for Morningstar to be released from prison and for Bentley to kiss me again. I blew out the glowing candle flames, all sixteen of them, in one fell swoop.

"You'll really get your wish now," Bentley said. His hand tightened on my waist; I leaned into his warmth and spicy scent.

Gardenia entered the dining room, holding Tammy and Tim each by the hand. "Looks like we missed the celebration," she said blankly. She wore a velvet robe in a dark wine color that seemed to drain the vitality from her cheeks. She had applied lipstick, but it only made her face look paler. I doubted if she'd left the house that day. Tammy and Tim sidled up to the table, eyeing the cake while Gardenia fished through the buffet drawer in search of a knife to cut it.

"Mrs. Roche!" she called, her voice cracking.

Mrs. Roche entered carrying a stack of porcelain cake plates. "Yes, Mrs. Robinson?"

"Why can't I find anything in this goddam house?" Gardenia leaned against the buffet as if she were about to collapse. Bentley shot me a wary look.

"Can I help?" I asked, moving toward her.

Gardenia wheeled on me. Her hair was pulled back in a messy knot, and some pieces hung down over her eyes. When she brushed back a lock, I saw that she was not only tired. Gardenia was drunk. One talent I picked up from my years with Morningstar was recognizing wasted people.

"No, you can't help me, Ivy." Gardenia's words slurred, and she wobbled slightly. "No one can help me!" With a cry, almost a scream, Gardenia lunged at the table, picked up my birthday cake with the candles still smoking, and hurled it against the wall in a surprising show of strength. The room echoed with a stung silence for a few seconds, then, as if on cue, the children opened their mouths in a chorus of high-pitched wails.