Start Of Term: Part 1 - SIMON

Term starts as usual, I get on the train and when I'm an hour away I take out my list of things I miss about Watford and doodle in the notebook I brought. When the bus stops I look down at the page. It's not a drawing but words. No. 3 on my list:

thefootballpitch

footballpitch

footbazpitch

tbazpitch

baz pitch

baz

I blush even though no one is around to see it and tear out the page, stuffing it in my bag. I'll recycle it once I get to school.

The rest of the journey goes as usual. I take a cab from the bus stop, walk up to the gate, go inside, unpack my things, and enjoy the silence.

When I wake, I'm immediately alert, a side effect of having T. Baz Pitch for your roommate, then I remember that Baz isn't here yet, think? I glance, casting an Olly, Olly Oxen Free, and no, he has not arrived yet, whew!

The dining hall is completely empty, and Cook Pritchard smiles at me when I get my lunch.

"Say, Snow?"

"Yeah?"

"Ever thought 'bout joining' any sports? You've certainly got the build for it."

I look at him, confused by the suddenness of the question for a moment, "No, why?"

"Oh, no reason. Enjoy your lunch, lad."

"Always do. Thanks."

Lunch tastes delicious, everything does and I scarf down my food trying to make up for all the calories I couldn't get over the summer holiday. As I eat, I wonder why Cook Pritchard would've asked me something like that, and why now?

I've always preferred watching sports, well, watching Baz play sports, I guess. They don't show sports in the care homes, only educational programmes, and that's if they have a television at all. So, the Watford team is the only team I watch. After all, it is the easiest way to keep tabs on Baz. Though, it seems as though the only time he ever isn't plotting is when he's on the pitch playing football.

Three days later, Penelope arrives. I'm at breakfast and she waltzes into the hall raising an eyebrow at my food choice (butter and scones) and hugs me.

We spend the day catching up while helping Ebb with the goats. She tells me everything. She spent part of the summer in America with her parents while they met with American scientists to talk about the Dead Spots.

Before we know it it's time for the Start of Term picnic. We settle our blanket on the lawn and then, I spot Baz.

He's wearing all black like the bloody vampire he is. It's so bloody obvious, why hasn't anybody noticed yet? Also, he's cut his hair. Penelope taps me, I spin around.

"Simon! The fireworks are starting."

"Ah, Penny!"

"Were you staring at Baz, again?" She doesn't even look surprised.

"He's literally flaunting it!"

"What?" She looks genuinely interested for once.

"Look! He's dressed in all black, what else dresses in all black? VAMPIRES!"

"Simon, be quiet!" She jabs me in the ribs, I ignore her and continue.

"And look, he's cut his hair, he must be plotting something."

"What? That doesn't even make any sense. His hair doesn't look any shorter to me, now come on."

"It used to be down to his shoulders now it's down to his neck, he clearly plot-"

Penelope shoves a scone in my mouth, shutting me up. I force myself to turn away from Baz and his suspicious behaviour. When I finish my scone I glance back at Baz. He sits with his soccer mates and his cousins Devon and Niall.

I do watch a bit of the fireworks but I make sure to keep an eye on Baz. He doesn't look at me once, probably too busy plotting.

When I finish eating I return immediately to our room so I can confront Baz. In the room his stuff is already unpacked, he must've arrived while Penny and I were with Ebb.

About half an hour later he opens the door.

"I knew it!" I shout

"Snow," he says, sounding exasperated.

"You are a vampire! And wearing all black just proves it."

He looks at me like I'm a child. "What- Snow, I– Go to bed."

"You can't tell me what to do, I know your secret."

"Oh please. Stop whining like a child and go to sleep."

"No. You cut your hair, I know you're up to something."

He looks confused for a moment, a look I hardly ever see on him (he's probably doing it just to patronise me) and then storms out of the room.

(A/N: sorry this first chapter was bad I'm trying to figure this story out I promise it'll get better.)