brother

I woke up next to my fiancé, Meredith, who was still sound asleep. We were the same age, both 39, we were in the same intern year. After Derek died, I was the one there to comfort her, the one to move away with her and her kids. 2 years later she started dating me. Her kids love me, Zola has her moments now and again but the poor girl lost her father at such a young age. Anyways, I looked at the sweet blonde sleeping. She started stirring so I smoothed her hair to soothe her. Today was both of our days off. I had been stressed out lately since my brother had been missing. We were twins, we looked after our siblings together and went to the same foster homes. We were inseparable. Meredith's eyes fluttered open and she looked up at me leaning over her. I smiled at her as she pulled me down for a kiss. A few seconds later we pulled apart. Meredith hummed and grinned. I swirled a strand of her hair around my finger and then rested my hand on her thigh.

Valentina: Y'know, we do have time before the kids wake up, it's only 6.

Meredith: Hmm, do we now?

Valentina: Seems so.

I moved on top of her as she cupped my face. I kissed her and our lips move in sync. A few minutes later we heard a knock on the door.

Meredith: Shit, stop I need to answer the door.

Valentina: I'm sure they can wait a few minutes.

Meredith: Fine, we'll have to do this the fast way.

I smirked, kissing down her bare body. I pushed my finger in her, swirling it around the wetness. I flicked my tongue over her clit as she squirmed under my touch. She began to moan but I put a hand over her mouth, not wanting to wake the kids. I stuck two more fingers in as I made figure of eights with my tongue. She started to breathe heavily and clench around my fingers. I pumped my fingers in and out faster, wanting to be quick so we can answer the door.

Meredith: Val, I...I- I.

Valentina: I know Mer.

She breathed out shakily as the knot in her stomach untied. She grabbed onto me kissing me one last time before grabbing my oversized jumper and some shorts. I followed her down with a blanket wrapped around me. I started making coffee as she opened the door and looked around. The postman was about to get in their car but Meredith ran out and stopped him asking for our letters. I poured the coffee into the cups and placed them on the island. Mer came back in smiling and then took a look at the letters. The smile dropped into a frown so I walked over to see what she was frowning over. My eyes widened as I saw a letter signed by Evil Spawn, one for me, one for Mer. I gently took the letter from Meredith and picked up our coffees. After I put the coffee down, I opened up one side of the blanket for her and she sat down next to me, cuddling into my side. I took a sip of my drink and then started to open the letter. Meredith did the same and started reading hers.

Dear Tintin,
This is not the way I wanted to do this.

I shuffled closer to her.

For all these years, you have looked out for me and I've done the same. I love you so much I would take a bullet for you. Oh wait...I did. That day of the shooting, I wasn't ready to die but I knew that if I did, I would've protected you anyway. I knew you'd survive because you are the strongest person I've ever met, mentally and physically. You're smart and this brilliant surgeon, who you'd think would've never come from a fucked up family. You used to be so scared to live in our household but you still protected our sister and brother at all costs. Even though we were still in high-school, you offered to get a job to pay for food while I helped in the house. We're two halves of one whole. We were made to be twins.

I wiped a tear from my eye looking at Meredith, then back to the paper.

Okay, now we're past the soppy shit, I have great news you're gonna love. That day at Mer's trial, I phoned Izzie to get a letter. I told myself it was only for the letter to help Mer, but then I heard giggling in the background. I got curious so I asked what it was and she told me she had kids. Kids Val. She told me their names are Eli and Alexis. And the funny part is they're my kids. I have kids! Anyways, I asked her if I could come to visit them sometime and she said yes and gave me her address. After I hung up, I couldn't help myself so the next day, I went to see her. When I got there she said hello and showed me our kids. Eli, oh Eli has the same awkward smile as me and Alexis. She has the same eyes as Izzie. They grabbed my hands and showed me their room. I played with them for hours and when I was going to leave, Izzie asked me to stay, so I did. I couldn't leave Val. I couldn't leave knowing I have kids. I mean they have this almost perfect life. Their house is on a farm with lots of horses and there's a hospital just down the road. Izzie is this amazing oncologist, who saves lives every day. They've offered me a job there too. I was the missing puzzle piece to their life. All they needed was me. So I'm sorry I couldn't say goodbye in a better way but goodbye Tintin. You should come to visit sometime, give me a call maybe.

Love Alex.

I was mad to say the least. Meredith had already finished her letter and was scanning through mine. I jumped and wiped my tears as a tired Zola walked into the room with a school project. I got up and walked into the restroom. When I got there, I rested my hands on the sink and started bawling my eyes out. A few minutes later, I was standing in the same position with one hand over my eyes. I soon heard a door open and then Meredith's sweet voice.

Meredith: He shouldn't have left like that.

I shook my head, starting to hysterically cry. A pair of arms wrapped around my waist and a head rested on my shoulder. I turned around pulling her into a hug. We moved slightly apart as Mer tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and wiped my eyes with her sleeve.

Valentina: I- I...

Meredith: Shh, it's ok I know...I know.

She kept me engulfed in the hug for a pretty long time. I enjoyed the comforting warmth radiating off of her as I squeezed her tighter, burying my head into her chest. The same night we were both laid in silence in the bed. I started sobbing again, remembering the memories from years ago. 14 years. 14 fricken years ago we were just starting our intern year. Now we are both attendings and I have to work on my own, after everything we've been through, after him telling me he would never leave 'I promise'. Meredith rubbed my arm, letting me curl up into her.

Meredith: I love you, I won't ever leave you so you still have me ok? If anything is wrong and you need help or want to talk come to me, I'll always be here.

Valentina: I know, Mer, I know.

I sniffled as Meredith kissed the top of my head. I fell asleep a few minutes later in her arms.