I

How it all began

How it all began

SOUTHERN FRANCE, 1002 A.D.

The five Mikaelson siblings: Finn, Elijah, Klaus, Kol, and Rebekah, have fled following their transformation into vampires and their mother's death.

On a road that cuts through a wooded area, a man drives a horse-drawn carriage with several other people in tow.

In the beginning, we were so naive. Our mother had made us into beasts who fed on blood. But immortality was beyond our grasp, compulsion a trick we had yet to learn.

The man driving the carriage stops his horse and hops down from the cart when he sees a wooden cart abandoned on the side of the road. He walks toward it to investigate what is going on.

All we knew was a fear of being hunted... That, and a terrible hunger.

The man slowly approaches the cart and peeks inside. As he looks at the cart, he finds that the far corner is stained with quite a bit of blood.

So we ran, as a family. And when we needed to, as a family, we fed.

Suddenly, the man is yanked away from the cart at vampire speed. Moments later, a long-haired Elijah, who is in the middle of hiding the man's carriage with tree branches amidst the slurping sounds around him, stops.

He looks over impatiently, "Kol, are you quite done?"

Kol, who was feeding deeply on the man on the ground a few feet away, groans in exasperation and sits upright. Behind him, Rebekah, Klaus, and Finn have just finished feeding on the driver's companions and are dragging their bodies toward the cart.

"Oh, bother, Elijah! Is all of this truly necessary?"

Elijah looks at him frustrated, "Brother, the road is a major thoroughfare-- if the bodies are found, word of our presence will spread to Mikael."

Rebekah pouts annoyed, "We have run through autumn and winter, through sleet and snow... Are we cursed to forever live in fear of our father?"

Finn shrugs, "I should say yes, sadly."

Elijah points at Finn in annoyance, "Finn, please. Niklaus--"

Elijah looks over at Klaus, who is petting the carriage driver's horse, for backup in their argument. Rebekah continues to glare at Elijah.

"I am not part of this." Klaus turns away still petting the horse.

Rebekah looks at her brother unamused, "Do we have any idea where we're running to next?"

Kol finally finishes feeding on the driver and drops his body on the ground before standing and walking toward his siblings.

He sighs, "Why not just do what we've all thought of doing? Split up!"