Chapter 10

"Emily, breakfast is ready," my sweet mother's voice echoed in my head, the smell of bacon filling my nose as I opened my eyes. My heart skipped a beat when I heard the voice; I quickly rushed out of bed and down the stairs. My breathing was slightly erratic; could I be hearing things? Maybe. It wouldn't be the first time. My feet rattled against the wood when I entered the kitchen, stopping on a dime when I saw the woman before me.  

Her dark brown hair was still as long and luscious as it was when I was a young child, Her emerald eyes shining in the light. She has aShe has a kind, warm look as she sends me a smile. How was she here? Why was she here?

" Mom?" I whimper slightly, tears building in my eyes. Her eyes softened when she saw the tears running down my cheeks, and her smile faded slightly.

"Oh, baby, what's the matter?" she asked, gently placing her hands on my arms as she looked down at me sympathetically.

"I don't-how are you here?" I asked quickly, not fully understanding how my dead mother was standing before me, as young and beautiful as I remember her. 

"I dont know what you mean, hun." She chuckled slightly, sending me a confused stare. 

"What, you're gone. Like...dead," I say carefully, unsure how she would react to my statement. 

"Don't be silly, dear; I think you've hit your head or something," she quickly retorts and turns back to the stove to finish breakfast. The thud of boots hitting the ground behind me causes me to turn back, only to see my father dressed up and smiling widely once he sees my mother and me. 

"Morning sweetie, Sleep well?" He asked, creeping closer, wrapping an arm around my shoulders, and kissing my forehead before doing the same to Mother. 

"Dad?" I wonder aloud, as I had not seen my father like this in almost a year. A small smile creeps as I stare between the two adults before me. I had them both back; I couldn't ask for much more. But life has a sick way of ripping things out from underneath you. 

Suddenly, I was no longer in my kitchen, and I stood in what looked to be a basement I didn't recognize. It was dark; I couldn't see what was before me. A slight chill ran up my back as I heard a soft female voice in the darkness. 

"Emilia, you have to stay here. Promise me?" She spoke gently. It was too dark to see, but it sounded like it was right in front of me. 

"I promise, but Cora, what's happening?" A small child fear-ridden voice hits my ears, and I slightly gasp in surprise. 

"You won't understand; just stay here," the older girl's voice returned, followed by quick footsteps that faded away in the darkness. Everything was so quiet for a moment that you could hear a pin drop.

"Just let it in

" Just let it in" 

Fear struck through me as I heard the sickly voice whisper in my ear. I recognized the voice, but I couldn't quite place it. My breath hitched slightly as I spun on my heels to come face to face with glowing red eyes. 

"Just let it in, Emilia." Its voice was rough and deep as it spoke, almost taunting me with its words. Why was it calling me that? Who the hell is Emilia?