Cora's Tale.

So, it's Astro's birthday so, in celebration, I decided to post two chapters in a row, so enjoy, and happy birthday to Astro!!!!!

The table was full of feeds. Pork ribs, mashed potatoes, salads, pizza, lasagna, cakes, jellies, flans, ice cream, and chocolate pudding. Food was spread all over the cabinet, but what was empty were the chairs around it, except for the one located on the far right, occupied by a five-year-old girl. She had a screen in front of her that was part of the table. Next to her were two robots holding trays, one with cutlery and napkins and the other with plates.

The little girl had her hands intertwined, moving them nervously, and she was biting her lip, debating whether she should ask them. Being left alone in the house with the nani robots was regular as it happened every day except Sunday, the day they took to rest from the week's work. But with all that in mind-- the girl decided to risk asking.

"Hey--," she lowered her head and raised it, "Hey."

But her parents were still focused on their desks, on the papers they had to check. Cora swallowed and leaned back, ignored as always. Usually, after not getting her parents' attention, she would give up and go elsewhere to deal with her loneliness. But not this time. It was her birthday, and her parents should celebrate with her, not at work.

She took a breath and spoke to them again:

"Mom, Dad."

Unanswered, Cora clenched her fists.

"Mom, Dad," she repeated, raising her voice.

"Yes, dear?" Answered her mother, but without looking at her.

But that did not discourage her; quite the contrary, she had their attention and had to take advantage of it.

"I was thinking," she stretched out her back a little, "that maybe you could get off work early today and..."

It was a little hard for her to say the last one; they rarely spoke, and she didn't know how they would react, and even so, a small part of her hoped to hear a 'yes.'

"...come home; if you hurry, we could still have dinner together."

"And you could sing me 'Happy birthday,' and then we could watch a movie together, and..." she thought.

"Cora, you know that your father and I are very busy here; if there is even one wrong number in these accounts, we will be fired."

"I know, but--"

"Cora, you heard your mother; we have a lot of work here and can't have distractions."

"Distractions?" Cora thought, hurt, "Is that what I am to you?"

"But--"

"No buts, darling, you have the two units with you; celebrate with them."

"Besides, that feast wasn't cheap, so you better not waste it."

Cora clenched her fists again, and tears welled in her eyes. How could they be so blind? Didn't they see that she wanted to spend her birthday with them? Was that too much to ask? At least for a year, she would like it to be so.

"Cora, we're running late. I have to hang up on you now."

"No, wait--"

"We'll talk when we get home; until then, try to have a good time."

Before Cora could open her mouth, her mother had the finger on the end button.

"Bye, Cora."

The screen disappeared, and the metal box closed itself; a hatch opened on the table into which the communicator entered and closed again. The two robots looked at each other worried; they backed away from the table because they knew what was coming. Cora placed both hands on the table, laid her head between them, and burst into a sea of ​​sobs.