Chapter 7

The tunnel looked endless at first glance. I held up my hand and it was instantly douched in my Magick. I was taken aback by the creepiness of its stone interior with roots coming out of its deep crevices. Fear gripped me and I didn't realise I had stepped back until I heard something crunch under my boot. It was Finn's chuckle that snapped me out of it. He pushed his way in front.

"I can't believe how much you remind me of Ragnar," he said. "Just use your Magick to light the way and it will repel all dark forces." I was about to follow him until a realisation crossed my mind.

"You're dark," I said. He stopped walking.

"Say that again," he warned. I think he misinterpreted my point as an insult.

"You're not a Light Wielder anymore," I elaborated. He spun around, and I had to be quick to correct myself because there was fury in his eyes. I watched his hands ball up into fists. In the glow of my Light Magick, his eyebrows furrowed, his scar making him appear more menacing.

"As if I need to keep being reminded of that-"

"What I meant was..." I hesitated. "Now that you're a Dark Wielder, what's to stop dark forces from attacking you?" The realisation finally dawned on him and when it did, fear replaced anger.

"I'm vulnerable," he answered. I nodded. The light from my palm illuminated our faces.

"Stay with me," I said. "And let's get out of here."

Finn was not one to accept assistance, but after weighing the pros and cons of our current situation, help overcame stubbornness. He answered with a look of affirmation and I was just turning around to get us back on the path when a low, daunting rumble echoed throughout the tunnel, stopping us both cold. My Magick began to flicker in accordance with my emotions. A long, drawled out hiss followed. We nervously looked over our shoulders.

"Does that normally happen?" I asked.

"It hasn't before," Finn answered. Then came a shrill screech. "RUN!" he shouted.

I didn't need to be told twice. We turned on our heels and ran, blind to our pursuer. With no Magick to guide us, we took out our blades in attempt of shedding some light. Me with my dagger and him with his sword. I was too rattled to maintain concentration, not to add my lack of training in wielding Light to uphold it. The same applied for Finn. In our haste to reach the exit, he seemed to think otherwise.

"Why did you distinguish it?" he shouted. His voice drew out over the sound of our heavy footsteps clanking against stone. I was already trying to reignite my Light Magick, but all I accomplished was a dull flicker.

"I'm trying," I said. I opened and closed my free hand, trying to return the spark. Finn saw my attempts.

"You're trying too hard," he explained. "Don't rely on your emotions. Emotions cloud your vision." I attempted a second time, but again the spark came and went, until it went out altogether.

"It's not working!" I said. More wails and demonic hisses sounded behind us, closer this time.

"Shades!" Finn yelled.

"How can you tell?"

It was a miracle that he was able to see anything in this darkness. "I don't know. I just can," he answered. Suddenly, moonlight lit up ahead and I knew the exit was close.

"We're almost there," I said.

We pushed ahead, motivated by the light at the end of the tunnel. The fear of tripping over loose roots were behind us now that the fate of our lives were at stake. Grass replaced stone and I looked up to see a starry sky. We had made it. At least I thought we had until Finn came dashing out behind me with unwanted company. I turned around to see what.

The Shades had followed us outside and were now cornering us to the edge of the clearing, swirling above the ground in their forms of dark mist and shadows. Finn remained in front me, hands thrust out in an attempt to shield us, and I worried for him.

"Finn!" I warned.

The Shades drew closer. The hisses turned into inaudible whispers of an old, forgotten language. But Finn remained in his stance, insanity holding him there, while helplessness froze me in place, and yet Finn remained determined. I noticed this change in his next actions when he took a firm step towards the Shades, as if he had power over them, and for a moment, it seemed as if he did.

While it remained invisible as to what it was that Finn was doing, the Shades began to retreat, backing up towards the tunnel as if afraid of him. Gaining confidence in his new prowess, Finn pushed further, a smirk forming. I realised that what he was doing was unnatural and I didn't like it, even if it was only warding off evil. I wanted him to stop before ego took over. When it came to taking someone's life, I knew what that felt like. Controlling life was not much different.

"Finn," I called again.

He withdrew, but it wasn't because of me. It was pure fear as I watched death make its appearance out of the shadows of its Shade army, turning the grass barren at its touch. I compared it to death because of its hooded face. Under the long black robe, I could see only bone hold together by dark, swirling mist. It stopped within range of talking distance. Then it pulled back its hood to reveal a skeletal face covered in dead white skin that had stopped pealing just before its nose. Yellow eyes stared out at us. It grinned.

"Brothers of blood," it greeted. "Your story is only just beginning."

"Who are you?" I asked. My teeth chattered as I spoke. I tried to appear brave by holding up my dagger even though I knew it could see right through me. The Shade looked at me.

"Call me Solomon," it said. "And I've come for the one destined to bring New Midgard's destruction." Through my fear, I managed to find the courage to ignite my Light Magick again. The orb of light returned in my other hand which earned a look of surprise from Solomon. "Clearly I'm talking with the wrong brother," it said.

That's when Finn spoke up. "Brother?" he asked.

Solomon chuckled. "Oh, don't listen to anything I say. I'm just a Shade," it explained. "What do I know about prophecies?"

That caught my interest. "What prophecy?" I asked. Solomon didn't elaborate.

"All you need to know," he said. "Is that eventually, I always get what I want."

I didn't like how it grinned after that threat. I held my dagger above my head and threw it just as Solomon dissipated into dark mist along with its Shade army. The orb in my left palm faded due to rising anger while my dagger flew passed Finn's right ear and would have hit its target had Solomon vanished a second later. Instead, it pierced the barren ground, moonlight returning natural warmth to the area. I could feel rage fuming through my balled fists as I watched Finn stand stock-still throughout the whole ordeal.

Then slowly, he took small steps towards my dagger and pulled it out of the ground. I couldn't begin to understand what he was thinking. He rubbed his thumb along the leather hilt and my gaze moved to him, where for a brief moment, recognition sparked in his eyes.

"Ragnar," I heard him whisper. His whole expression changed when he turned to face me. Our eyes locked. His grip tightened around the dagger. His shoulders stiffened. It wasn't just grief that he was experiencing this time. "Where did you get this?" he asked.