Part 1

How did this even happen?

Luigi and Mario, somehow transported from their old home of Brooklyn through a giant, magic pipe to some sort of nightmare land. Scratch that, Luigi had no idea where Mario ended up since they got separated in the weird pipe travel system.

That seemed to be what the younger brother hated the most right now. Being alone. Especially in a dark, stone floored and walled cell with his arms cuffed to chains on the wall, his shoulders becoming more and more sore the more time that passed.

He let out a small sigh, shifting his feet that were cuffed to each other, meaning even if he got his hands free, he couldn't try and run off. Especially since he was still locked behind a wall of metal bars along with that.

Was Mario ok? Was he looking for him? Would he even find him in time before whatever these monsters were would get the chance to do whatever they were planning to do to him? He wasn't sure, and god he wished he knew.

If only he hadn't walked towards the pipe without his brother. If only he had decided to go back in instead of try and look through that hellscape of a land without Mario. If only he didn't get caught by those short, little, masked creatures in the castle.

Why couldn't he just stick up for himself for once and fight?

...

"Mario, have you finished wrapping your presents yet?"

"Not yet, Lu! Don't even think about coming in here until I'm done!"

The younger brother chuckled, sitting next to the oven and waiting for the timer to ring so he could pull out the cookies their mom and him were making while his big bro wrapped his presents for them in their room, a Christmas tradition of theirs to take turns privating off their room from their brother for the sole purpose of surprising them.

"I know, big bro!", he called in return before he heard a sudden thump from their room. "Mario, is everything alright in there?", he asked, but with no response received.

He hesitated for a moment before getting up to check on his brother, asking, "..Mario? Are you alright?" He stopped at the door, still unanswered, before deciding to open the door, caring more about his brother than some stupid surprise.

Luigi gasped to see his brother collapsed on his side, kneeling down to help him as he yelled, "Mario? Mario?!", shaking his brother's shoulder.

That's when he suddenly blinked his eyes open, hearing a similar thump to which he thought he heard his brother collapse to come from a nearby cell. He couldn't tell how long he'd fallen asleep for, feeling the heat of the stones against him burning into him.

He hissed in pain as he sat up, trying to get his back off of the burning stones and trying to wake himself up, pulling a little at the cuffs on his wrists. Both his shoulders and his back ached as he attempted to stretch as much as he could, glancing outside of the bars to see if anyone was outside them.

We're they really not planning on bringing any food or water down there? What if he statved to death or died of dehydrated before he could escape-