Chapter Three

Blood curling shrills filled the night's dense air as bodies were shredded apart, limb by limb. Blood gushed from separated bodies, flowing and spilling onto its surroundings, tainting everything and everyone within near proximity. The scent of the thick, red liquid filled the air. The rich scent filled the nose of any living person who happened to be nearby, making the mouths of the many ghouls in the area salivate, wanting to feed on the sweet flesh of the humans that were being pulled apart into pieces. Not only did they enjoy the flesh; they loved the screams of horror and pain as they sunk their teeth into their prey.

This scene took action in an alleyway, far away from the living society of humans. The poor souls who happened to be quite unfortunate into running into these ghouls were doves. While this spectacle played, on the rooftops of the building right above the alley, two silent creatures stood, watching down on the feast that was taking place down below. Akame and Tatara watched as their co-members killed every last ghoul investigator in the dark passage, devouring and savouring on their succulent meat.

"They're too distracted. It's been quite some time now. Won't other investigators come looking?" Akame thought aloud to her new mentor.

Tatara remained silent and continued to watch down. The night's cool breeze blew gently into the pair's face, carrying along the scent of blood. Akame's eyes scanned the area thoroughly. There were more doves heading to the same path that the others were, as she had predicted. Although the surrounding areas had barely any human life around, the dead men's screams had echoed around, calling attention to their comrades who had already been worried that they had not returned. So of course, they were coming to investigate. Akame realised that still, no one had taken notice of the sounds of running footsteps approaching; only Tatara and herself knew. The ghouls below were too distracted with the dead, dismantled bodies, trying to fill their stomachs to the fullest. The young girl looked up at Tatara, who signalled at her to not make a sound. This was a demonstration. A demonstration to show what happened when you lost focus. He was going to let them all die.

Akame watched the rest of the night unfold as her comrades were slaughtered by the doves. They were too slow to react, having little time to engage in a fight. By the time they took notice of their new audience, the doves' quinques were already sprung from their briefcases, ready to spill more blood. Akame marvelled at Tatara's unemotional feelings towards his subordinates. He easily gave them up like pawns in a chess game. The two headed back to the headquarters to report the day's happenings. Akame's heart was heavy as she tried to remember why she had agreed to be a part of this organization. 

"So you really were a human?" Akame questioned, staring at the white haired boy who was sipping his coffee. The duo were currently in a small room at HQ, where the coffee machine was kept. Akame had recently found out that Kaneki also enjoyed coffee and when he had shown her the room she had been extremely excited. Whenever she had free time, she found herself here as it was a place rarely frequented by anyone else. There were some shelves in the room with a few books, as well as a brown, worn-out leather couch. Although the room was small, it was quite cosy. Kaneki smiled at the curious girl and nodded. She continued to stare at him in disbelief.

"What is it like?"

Before Kaneki could respond, the door was slammed open, catching the attention of the two. As they turned to see who had entered, Akame came into eye contact with Ayato Kirishima. Fear still poked at her whenever she saw him but she always forced herself to relax. That night would never occur again. She'd be fine. The blue haired ghoul walked up to the two ghouls with his usual expression of annoyance.

"There's been a new order for us Kaneki, we have to go."

Ayato then turned to Akame and snarled, "Tatara is also calling for you. You are to go with us." Akame's eyes widened in shock. Why would Tatara want her to go with them? She won't be of any use. Ayato then stormed out of the room, once again slamming the door shut. For the few days Akame had been in the Aogiri Tree, she had learned quickly that Ayato was not someone to mess around with. He was arrogant and rough to every person he knew. He undermined every single ghoul who were below him, especially if he thought they were weak. Akame tried as much as possible to stay out of his way. Tatara, on the other hand, wasn't making this easy for her if he was sending her out on a mission with him. Akame reluctantly followed Kaneki as he left to go meet the others. It was going to be quite a long night.

Their cloaks bellowed out after them as they all ran through the hallways of the building, killing any person who they met. After Akame and Kaneki had met with the other ghouls, they were told that their mission was to infiltrate the doves' new building in the ward. The Aogiri tree had rendered CCG's 11th ward branch office useless, however they were still hesitant to give up. There were only a few investigators in the new branch as they didn't want to take the risk of losing more people. It had been revealed to the public that the ghoul investigators had managed to capture the Reaper Ghoul, who had been wanted for some time. This ghoul had been the cause of deaths for many innocent humans in different wards, making him a priority to CCG as he pose a threat to the civilians. Aogiri had plans to rescue the ghoul, as the executive members thought that he would be of use to the organization. If he were to be rescued by the Aogiri, this would make his willingness to join them increase. Akame thought that something seemed a bit off, but she didn't voice her opinion.

Ayato had split the group in order to make the operation run faster. Akame and her team searched the second floor thoroughly, but nothing was found. After every human was dead, the floor became dead silent as they continued on with their search. After a few minutes again, they were informed that the Reaper had finally been found on the fourth floor. Once again the weird feeling in Akame's stomach picked up as she became very suspicious. This had been too easy. It had been less than half an hour since they invaded the branch, but they had already found their target. Akame still didn't say anything as her suspicions grew. This had been a big mistake on her part. 

—-

It is 2:30 in the morning and I have finally finished this chapter, which I started about two months ago. GG me GG. I hope you guys enjoy it and tell me what you think. Also thank you for all the sweet comments, they make me very happy.  <3