PROLOGUE

October 31,1981

It was the night of Halloween.

Everything was normal. Or so it seemed.

Sirius got ready as he prepared to leave, but he couldn't help but feel that something was terribly wrong. He shook his head.

No, everything is just fine. You're just worried for Lily and Prongs. It's probably nothing, he thought.

But no matter how much he tried to assure himself, he couldn't shake that nagging feeling that something was wrong.

"Are you alright?"

He turned his head to see his wife Jenna standing a few feet behind him by the door, their one year old daughter in her arms. The little girl's bright blue hair, which was quite long for a child of her age, was pulled into pigtails. He made his way over to them and watched in amusement as his daughter's hair changed colors. He turned and met blue eyes still peering at him in concern.

"Are you alright Sirius?" she pressed.

He hesitated. She could always tell when something was bothering him.

"I'm fine, it's just-" he paused. "I can't help but feel something's off. Like, something's wrong." He sighed. "But I don't know- Maybe I'm just overthinking. It's probably nothing and I'm just worrying for no-"

She cut off his rambling by taking his hand. "Hey. It's okay", she said softly. "I'm sure everything is fine. And you're already going to go check up on them,"she reminded him.

"That's the thing. I feel like-" He paused, her face scrunching up as she tried to understand. "Like something bad's gonna happen." He explained. "And what about you and Ayra? I can't just leave you two alone-" he began to ramble again but was cut off again when she spoke.

"We'll be fine. Nothing is going to happen, okay?" She assured him. "Besides, it's only for a short while, and there are protections around the house. We're perfectly safe. We'll be right here when you get back." She said, smiling reassuringly.

"Promise?" he asked, his voice vulnerable.

She grinned and leaned forward to give him a soft kiss. "Promise", she whispered back squeezing his hand.

He rested his forehead against hers and closed his eyes. He didn't want to leave her or Ayra alone. He would never be able to forgive himself if something happened to either of them while he was gone. But he couldn't seem to push away that terrible feeling. Something bad was going to happen, he could feel it. He had to go and make sure for himself that everything was fine; to ease his restlessness.

"I'll be back." he breathed out as he opened his eyes. He raised his head slightly and kissed her forehead. "I'll be right back." He then leaned forward to kiss Ayra's now orange hair. She let out a little giggle and her hair turned neon green. "I promise." He then looked back at Jenna, his stormy grey eyes piercing her blue ones. "I love you", he whispered. "I love you both."

She smiled and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. "We love you too."

She then let go of his hand and followed him as he made his way to the front door. He grabbed his wand and slipped it into his pocket. He then grabbed his coat. She watched as he opened the door and breathed out, "Be careful."

His eyes met hers once again. "I will."

And with that he was gone.

***

Sirius now stood in front of a small house. He had flown in his motorcycle and come straight here. He needed to check on Peter and make sure there were no problems.

He walked up the small steps and knocked. He waited. No response.

He knocked again. Still no response.

Odd. What could Wormtail possibly be doing? Maybe he didn't hear me knock- he thought.

Fear washed over him. What if something had happened to him? he thought. No . I'm sure he's fine. He probably didn't hear me knock.

He tried the knob and was surprised to find it unlocked. Why would he leave his door open? Unless...Could he have been- No, no.

He stepped into the house. "Peter?" he croaked out.

Silence.

Something was wrong. Very wrong.

He searched the house. No one was home. Where could he have gone? Could he have been attacked? But there was no sign of a struggle. Unless-

The realization hit him and his blood ran cold.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

What had he done?