Chapter fourteen

I grip the coarse fabric of the seatbelt tightly as Finn drives, with Ruby and Michael in the backseat. The journey feels excessively long, fueling my growing anxiety about meeting Finn's parents. I struggle to recall if I've ever met a significant other's parents before. If I have, the memories are hazy, buried in the distant past.

"What should we check out first, Finn?" Ruby inquires cheerfully from the backseat.

"Well, there's a fantastic local pizza place not far from the clan. My parents will definitely want to have a family dinner there. It's owned by a clan member who grew up in Italy. The menu offers both traditional Italian dishes and more modern options. It's amazing if you let him surprise you with his recommendations. There's also a great pool, a bar, and an ice cream shop within the suburb. And in the morning, I'd be more than happy to take you on a cool running route," Finn excitedly suggests, his enthusiasm evident.

"That sounds awesome! A pool day with a nice martini by the water, and ice cream sounds good too, as long as they have mint chocolate chip. Otherwise, it's not worth my time," Ruby responds, humming along to a song playing on the radio, unfamiliar to me.

"Are you feeling okay?" Finn asks, concerned.

"Yeah, just nervous. I don't know how to feel about meeting your parents. I was ready to save you from a horde of demons, but a mundane task like this is petrifying," I confess, my worries consuming me.

"Well, we're here now, so there's no need to be nervous any longer," Finn reassures me, pulling up to a gated community. Somehow it just makes me feel more nervous.

He enters a key code that grants us access to the compound. The black brick walls surrounding the facility stand tall, reaching a height of seven to eight feet. The road within the compound transitions from asphalt to cream-colored cobblestone, causing the car to bounce slightly as we drive. The homes are generously spaced apart, showcasing a striking mix of brickwork in light red, white, cream, grey, dark red, and black. Painted siding adds pops of navy blue, white, and black, creating a unique yet harmonious aesthetic. Each home features a fenced backyard and a front yard, with ample space between them for vibrant green side yards. Every house boasts an attached garage with a gleaming white door, and it seems as though the community devotes hours to maintaining their pristine appearance.

We navigate through countless rows of homes, prompting me to inquire, "How large is your parents' clan?"

"It's quite sizable. This is one of the five suburbs they have around here. It's the largest one and houses the most elite and high-ranking members. There are at least a couple thousand members in this suburb alone. The others have about one or two thousand each. It's one of the largest vampire clans in North America, rivaled only by one in Europe and two in Asia. My oldest sister, Robin, is set to inherit the clan. She's currently in Europe, meeting with the younger sons of the leader up there. They're hoping to forge a blood tie and unite the two clans. She can be difficult, so I'm curious to see how that pans out. Just so you know, they will ask you to move closer," Finn explains, adding the last part as a warning.

"That's not happening. I love my secluded piece of land, even if a few people move nearby. I need much more space than this place can offer," I assert firmly. He can't expect me to abandon my land for this place.

"I don't expect you to, Rose. Nor do I want to live here. I love your home, and I think we'll have a wonderful life there. I'm just letting you know that they will want you to move closer to them," he assures me.

As we wind our way through the homes, they grow larger and more grandiose. We pass by a central plaza with several food businesses, a pool area with a splash pad, and a spacious library. Children play and their parents relax in the shaded area. Vampires don't enjoy direct sunlight, although it won't kill them. The children are mostly human, likely adopted by vampire parents.