[13] Fallout 4 V.A.T.S

So there's a theory that your character in Fallout 4 is a synth, and one of the main arguments for this is the fact you can use V.A.T.S before you get your Pip-Boy.

Now, I don't know the argument to support that Nora would have it. But my theory is that it's a military-implanted system.

After all, there's the possibility Vault-Tec did help push for the Great War some, may have evn been the ones who dropped the bombs. Who's to say they weren't supporting the military so that they can push for war more?

Now, Vault-Tec started up around 2031. Nate went to war in 2066. Ten years later, Nate and his family are put into the vault, where there's Pip-Boys.

So it's quite possible that the military had an aim-assistance implantation, hence why Nate can use V.A.T.S before he gets a Pip-Boy.

Now, what does this mean for Nora?
Either she willingly also got an implant for times she'd have to act in self-defense. Or there's of course the answer that is simply Bethesda didn't think that through.

But why can't you trigger it until you get out of your Cryo-pod?
Because you, your brain, doesn't see a reason to. But once you witness your spouse get killed and your baby kidnapped, you're on high-alert and honestly out for blood.

Yes, you were in a panic when you were running to the Vault. But your goal was to run to safety, while you have no weapons and are in lounge wear.
You would think this would make you more alert, but you're in a state of shock and confusion. Everything was fine one moment, you're planning a trip down to the park with your family and for your baby's Halloween costume. The next you're being told that bombs are dropping and there's sirens blaring. And your character's main thoughts are "Get to safety, make sure my family is safe, get to safety, run".

To put it simply, you're Fight or Flight was in Flight mode.

Long story short:
The Sole Survivor, more specifically Nate who was in the military, can use V.A.T.S before they get a Pip-Boy because it's basically an implant invented by Vault-Tec.