The Dark Forest 1 Part 72

"Coral, we're leaving in ten," Kie called through the bathroom door.

"I'll be down in a few minutes," Coral responded. Sighing she leaned against the bathroom counter as she stared at her reflection in the mirror.

They'd made it to Topper's house on the mainland the night before. Jumping out of the truck she'd managed to dodge JJ's attempt in grabbing her hand. Instead linking arms with Kie she walked inside the massive house quickly finding a bedroom to shut herself inside of.

She'd showered and changed in the massive adjoining bathroom and then laid awake staring at the ceiling till morning. Deciding to venture out she'd gone downstairs to find Cleo also awake sitting at the big oak table eating a huge bowl of what looked like cocoa crisps.

"Morning," she greeted, hunting up a bowl for herself before dumping cereal into it. After pouring out milk she settled in the chair across from Cleo.

"You no sleep well without your JJ," Cleo commented, squinting across the table at her.

"No, I don't."

"What happened?"

"What makes you think anything happened?"

Snorting, Cleo shook her head, "Boy, had a serious scrape up out there and you didn't spend the night licking his wounds," she replied, smiling innocently.

"He did something I'm beyond livid about. I don't know how to deal with it or him right now."

Taking a bite of cereal, Cleo slowly chewed before swallowing while studying Coral, "You know I'm new an all, but one thing I know about JJ is he has a good heart. He just don't think before he does stuff."

"No, he certainly doesn't."

"What are you doing? You're eating my food now too?" Topper questioned, walking into the kitchen, glaring at the two girls.

"Relax, Kook boy, from the looks of this place you can afford a box or two," Cleo responded, lazily.

"Yeah, Top, starving your new besties is kind of rude," Coral laughed, pushing back from the table and depositing her empty bowl in the sink.

"What? Besties? No, no, and where are you going? Wash that shit?" he demanded, pointing to the dirty dish in the sink.

"You know all those times I had to clean up after you and your disgusting friends at The Wreck? Well paybacks a bitch, Bestie," Coral responded, blowing him a kiss, "Now, if you'll excuse me I feel in need of a luxurious bubble bath before we go," she said waving as she walked out of the kitchen.

Climbing the staircase, she immediately spotted the boy sitting outside of the room she'd been using. Sighing, she closed her eyes briefly before opening them again and heading down the hallway.

Jumping up he took a step towards her stopping when she held up her hand, "I'm not ready for this, JJ."

"Coral."