Chapter Six

The time was a few minutes before midnight when Natalie went upstairs to check on Tommy. She let herself in without knocking like she'd done so many times before.
Tommy was lying flat on his back with the music on low when Natalie peeked in his room. Tommy glanced over with dreamy bloodshot eyes. There was a half-empty fifth of Seagram's 7 on the night table beside his head. Tommy seldom got drunk anymore since he nearly overdosed, but when he did, he favored whiskey.
     "Natty," he mumbled. "Is that you?"
     "It's me." Natalie crossed the room and knelt on the floor by his side. "How are you doing?"
     Tommy looked at the ceiling and snorted softly. "How am I doing? Just great. Terri's been dead for three years. I remember her mom called and asked if I could help her pick out a casket for her. Can you imagine that? Three years ago I went to pick out an engagement ring for her." He began to cry, slurring his words. Natalie had never seen her uncle cry. "Then I had to pick out a box to put her in."
     Natalie hugged him. "I know. I'm sorry, Tommy."
     Tommy sniffed and wiped his blotchy red eyes with the back of his hand. Eyeliner streaked his cheeks and smeared on the back of his hand. He winced as if he felt something hit him. A bead of sweat poured off his forehead. "I need another drink." He reached for the bottle and on his pinkie finger, Terri's glittered in the light. Natalie snapped the bottle away from his reach.
     "You've had enough to drink," Natalie said. "Go to sleep. I'll come see you in the morning."
     Tommy persisted in wanting the bottle, although he was too drunk to jump up and take it back. He stuck his hand out farther. "Give me the goddamn bottle, Natalie." He said.
     "No, Tommy." Natalie said firmly. "You're drunk, you need sleep. I'll see you in the morning." She bent down and kissed his cheek. "I love you."
     Tommy sighed, and, too intoxicated to put up a fight, gave in. "I love you, too." he mumbled, watching Natalie leave. He turned to lay on his side and stared at Terri's ring. His head pounded as he thought of the strange hallucination he'd had earlier today. He'd seen Terri. Felt her skin on his fingertips. Saw her smile. Heard her voice.
      Tommy moaned as the pain in his head worsened. He swung his legs off the side of the bed and slowly sat up. His mouth was dry, and he had a headache. His entire body was soaked with sweat.
      He stood and walked to the window and looked out on the deserted nighttime street. It looked like an alien planet. He didn't even feel he belonged in his own body. He hurt all over.
     Tommy felt a digestive spasm. The contents of his stomach welled up in his throat. He barely made it to his bathroom. He vomited up everything he'd eaten for lunch that day and then some. He sat catching his breath when he heard someone come in and kneel beside him. He expected it to be Natalie, but when he looked, he saw Terri beside him. She leaned over and kissed him on the lips, vomit breath and all. She rubbed his back lovingly.
     "Is my kitty not feeling well?" She asked, brushing his long blonde hair, damp with sweat, back from his forehead with her delicate fingers.
     "I had too much to drink," Tommy mumbled. "It made me sick." Tommy leaned against her, his head on her shoulder. He closed his eyes and the pain in his chest lessened when he felt her arms around him.
     "God, Terri," he breathed. "I've missed you so much. I love you. Please don't ever leave me."
     "I love you too, Tommy." Terri said, and kissed him again. Tommy closed his eyes and leaned into her.
     He almost fell over into the floor. He had to catch himself on the edge of the sink. When he opened his eyes, Terri was gone.   
     Tommy sighed, tears in his eyes, and pressed his cheek against the cold surface of the bathtub.