Chapter Eleven

Adam was comfortable, sitting with Sauli on the couch, Sauli's head on his chest. Natalie and Jarrett sat with Ellie as they all watched a movie, Natalie braiding her hair.
    "I've always wanted a sister," Natalie said thoughtfully, and Ellie smiled. Her scraped knees were bandaged, and she sat wearing one of Natalie's old nightgowns from when she was younger Adam and Sauli had stored away because all her clothes were back in her room at the hospital.
     "Me too," agreed Jarrett. "I'll make your hair really pretty. What do you think of blue?"
     "Over my dead body," Sauli said, and Adam chuckled. The sound was deep in his chest under the spot where Sauli's head lay. The phone's shrill ring erupted from the kitchen.     
     "I got it." Adam got up from the couch and disappeared into the kitchen.
     "I hope Tommy's okay..." Ellie said softly as Jarrett gently held her chin in his hand, applying mascara on her, his slim fingers cool and comforting on her skin.
     "He'll be fine, honey," Sauli said. "Jarrett, what are you doing? She's nine."
     "You're never too young to want to look your best," he replied. "Besides, it's just a little mascara."
     "That's a nice tactic-if you're the daughter of a prostitute."
     "What's that?" Ellie asked, and Jarrett folded his arms over his chest, smirking, looking at Sauli.
     "Yes, do tell us, Sauli. What is that?"
     Just as he opened his mouth to recover from his mistake, Adam walked in, his happy expression now distorted with anger and worry.
     "He did it again!"
    They all knew what that meant, apart from Ellie.
     Natalie shot up out of her seat. "Do not tell me-"
    Jarrett swore under his breath.
    "Get in the car. We're going to the hospital." Adam said, grabbing his keys.