11-Cultists

The beds at Vilemyr Inn were surprisingly comfy and warm. I woke up, my hair sticking up on the ends and feeling refreshed. Lydia had fallen asleep in a chair nearby. I felt bad and wanted to offer her the bed but she had declined. I put the Steel Armor back on and we walked out as the innkeeper was making breakfast. Lynly Star-Sung was sweeping the floors and there was a drunken man asleep on a bench.

"Good morning." Wilhelm said.

"Good morning." I said. The smell of eggs and bread filled the air. We walked outside, as I wanted to find ingredients for potions before breakfast. I noticed two people in strange masks walking up to us.

"You there! You're the one they call Dragonborn?" One asks me. I look at them, confused.

"Yes, I am Dragonborn." My hand goes to the hilt of my sword.

"Your lies fall on deaf ears, Deceiver! The True Dragonborn comes ... You are but his shadow. When Lord Miraak appears, all shall bear witness. None shall stand to oppose him!" The person yelled and I was hit with shock magic. Lydia goes to attack the cultists and some of the Guards run to our aid.

I manage to slice the head off of the first cultist. Lydia and the guards down the second cultist. I found a piece of paper on the belt sash of the first cultist. It was an order for them to kill me to appease Lord Miraak. My stomach flops. Who is this Miraak and how did he know I would be here? How did he even know I was Dragonborn? Maybe he heard rumors of me. Questions run through my mind and I wish I had answers.

"Are you alright, my Thane?" Lydia asked me.

"I'm fine. Seems someone wants me gone." I showed her the note.

"Well, my Thane, I am sworn to protect you." Lydia put a hand on my shoulder. "Even from cultists of some deranged Dragonborn wannabe."

"Thank you, Lydia. I think it's best if we grab a bite and get going. I don't want them to be attacking every hold we go to." I responded. She nods. We grab my bag and we leave after grabbing some honey nut treats, bread, and a helping of eggs from the inn.

"Where are we going now, my Thane?" Lydia asked as we walk along the road.

"We're going to Jurgen Windcaller's tomb to find that horn for the Greybeards." I responded. "Hopefully, it's not as bad as Bleak Falls Barrow was."

"Hopefully not. If I may ask, my Thane," Lydia looks at me. I nod. "What do you intend on doing after this?"

"Well, I have to defeat Alduin, right? But if I survive that, I want to look for my family." I sighed. I was planning on doing that in between all of this saving the world mess.

"What happened to them?" Lydia asked me. I close my eyes and think back on that horrible day.

*********************************************************************************************************

Imperial soldiers had come to my family's estate and asked for a place to stay. My mother obliged, having to have been an Imperial soldier herself. I did not like it at all.

"Don't worry, Sevy." My grandfather gently patted my shoulder. "We will be alright. The Divines will keep us safe."

I wanted to believe him. They ate our food and killed a chicken for the fun of it. My mother looked uncomfortable as she served them stew and one grabbed at her skirt.

That night, Mama had gone to bed with a dagger under her pillow. I could not sleep at all. I remember the door bursting open as four drunken soldiers walked into our room. My little brothers woke up and my mother and grandfather walked up to him, weapons on their backs.

"Leave now. You have disturbed our peace enough." My grandfather said, pointing his Imperial sword at them.

"Or what?" The soldier drew his dagger. My grandfather quickly sliced his head off his neck with one swift move. The soldiers started to fight. My mother and grandfather start to fight. I grab the boys and we run outside. The other three soldiers that were outside were watching us.

"Hey, come back, we have to find something to do!" I cast my flame spells.

"Leave us be and get out!" I hollered. "Or else!" In that moment, I killed in self defense. We had no choice but to run away with our mother to the edge of Cyrodiil. We had seen Stormcloak and Imperial soldiers nearby. If we could of snuck past the Stormcloaks and the Imperials.

************************************************************************************************************

"I'm so sorry, my Thane. This must be painful for you." Lydia says. "I'm sorry I asked. "

I shook my head.

"Don't be. There's still hope I'll find them."