Who am I?

My Name is Evelyn Turner. I was born in Indiana as an Amish girl. As I was growing up I grew more and more discontent; I didn't like the rules and suffocating lifestyle. I didn't make plans to leave the Amish, but I did try to run away a time or two! I always returned because my home was safe and a good place to be. I would run away because of the rules, but then returned because I got scared and home was still better than what I found outside!

The Amish life is slow paced: you have community around you, big families with a private church and school for only Amish. In my family there were 10 children, 4 girls and 6 boys. I am number 6 so yes middle child syndrome and all that! Our family had friends inside and outside the Amish culture. We shared not only in our home but when there was a need in the community whether Amish or not, we were there to help!

 We shared not only in our home but when there was a need in the community whether Amish or not, we were there to help!

The Amish school only goes through 8th grade. After they graduate 8th grade the boys go to work with their dads either on the farm or at a construction job usually. The girls learn to sew cook clean and help with younger siblings.

I worked for our neighbors starting when I was 12 babysitting for their 2 young children. Their mom worked at the hospital and dad was a farmer in the community. They loved coming to our house there was always a lot going on! Mom always had cookies or some baked goods to snack on!

At  Christmas time we had a school program which consisted of the school  children reciting poems and singing songs as a group

At Christmas time we had a school program which consisted of the school children reciting poems and singing songs as a group. This was a highlight of Amish life, the moms would make home made candy and the school children exchanged names to each get a gift. The day would consist of the families packing into the small school house, the kids lining up at the front to do their presentation then exchanging their gifts. Then everyone dug into the plastic containers filled with rice crispie treats, party mix, peanut butter balls and all kinds of deliciousness!

So the 2 children I babysat for would go with us! They wanted to dress  Amish so my mom made them outfits! They had professional pictures taken!  They enjoyed the community and felt a part of the company of the Amish;  everyone shared candy, inclu...

So the 2 children I babysat for would go with us! They wanted to dress Amish so my mom made them outfits! They had professional pictures taken! They enjoyed the community and felt a part of the company of the Amish; everyone shared candy, included the 2 children, enjoying fellowship as a group.

I'm thankful for how I grew up although hard it was a slow paced and pretty healthy lifestyle! We learned good moral values and work ethic which has helped me throughout my lifetime!

Follow for more on my story next week!

Love in JESUS, Evelyn