Chapter One

ROBYN MAELWOOD SET HER BAGS DOWN IN THE ATTIC, dust flying everywhere as she swatted a cobweb out of her face. Looking around her new room, she wondered if this was what the rest of her life would be like. Staying in a dark, musty, spider-and-rat-infested room for all of eternity.

She never wanted to move to Ireland. She never wanted to come to meet her cousins. But her parents decided to. All because they got fired from one particular company. Platyn's Co.

Robyn glanced outside, looking at the cracked cement of her new driveway, a blue Toyota pulling into it. A blonde-haired girl with blue highlights and black, thin-framed glasses stepped out. Her cousin, Elizabeth O'Hana.

She climbed down the ladder before her parents could yell at her to do so. After all, no one wants to be embarrassed in front of relatives they've never met before. Especially relatives that are letting you stay in their house.

"Robyn, just in time!" her dad chuckled. "This is your Aunt Mary and your Uncle Jerome. I'm sure you already know Elizabeth."

I tried for a smile and shook my aunt and uncle's hands. "Nice to meet you, Aunt Mary! You too, Uncle Jerome."

"What a polite girl." plauded Mary, a tall, thin woman with brown curls. She reminded me of every cliche cook in movies. "Have you looked at your room yet?"

"Yup, I have. It's... amazing." 

"Glad you think that! It's mine, too!" said Elizabeth.

It was bad enough that I was sleeping in an attic. But sharing it with someone else? She couldn't be serious.

"Good one, Elizabeth!" I laughed.

However, my cousin's face stayed perfectly straight. "I'm serious, Robyn."

I couldn't help but blurt out, "What?! But..."

My uncle raised an eyebrow. "But what, Robyn?"

I looked nervously at the people who were staring at me. "It's nothing."

Jerome looked like he was about to interrupt, but my aunt came to the rescue. "Listen to what the girl says. If it's nothing, it's nothing." she laughed, a sound like the tinkling of wind chimes in the morning breeze. 

Elizabeth looked at my expression and said, "You don't like the attic, don't you?"

"I do! It's just that..." 

"No need to freak out, Robyn! Don't worry, I hate it too! It's so dusty up there! If I have lung problems in the future, then I'm blaming it on that stupid attic!"

I smiled, glad to know I wasn't the only one who didn't like that place. "Well, should we go upstairs?"

My cousin returned the expression. "Why not?"