Of Fits and Futons

“Ahhhhhhhh!” Keeley screamed while looking into a mirror in her magnificent home up in heaven.

“What happened, Keeley?” asked Ebony as she rushed to Keeley’s side.

 “I-I-I…” Keeley stumbled across words, trying to regain composure.  This was completely useless when Ebony was there. Ebony could read any face within a second.

“Please don’t tell me this is about your reflection!” Ebony spat.

 “Well….” Ebony groaned and leaves to rejoin Avery in the middle of the room. 

“What was that about?” Avery asked, laughing.

“What do you think, if it’s Keeley it’s looks, no question,” Ebony joked.  “Okay, okay, so wait, what were you saying about Desimonda?” 

Avery face darkened. “Well, she apparently came up with a horrible idea where everyone must pick one dimension to live in and we can’t leave.”

“I do that now, Avery, trust me, you will live,” Keeley came in, brushing her long albino white hair.

Avery jumped to her feet. “Well, Ebony and I aren’t used to it since we’re not angels.” 

“Yeah, you come from the opposite end…” Keeley replied.

 Avery shook her head. “Well at least you guys aren’t, uh, what’s that word I am looking for… Oh yeah, DEAD!” Ebony said, amused. 

“Oh, yeah, sorry, Ebony, how do you stand being so… you know…?”

 “Pale,” she answered for her. “I like it. I don’t know why but I do.”

  “Well I would hate it.” Keeley said, looking towards the window as she used her wings to fan herself.

“Anyway,” Ebony said, rolling her eyes.

“Who else knows about this new Law?”

“Just us.”

“Okay, well, I need to go tell Jezebel now,” Ebony said, gliding over to the door.

“Maybe you shouldn’t. You know Desimonda isn’t exactly Jezebel’s favorite person,” Avery quickly added, following her.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Ebony’s silver tail immediately transformed into a pair of silvery legs and she sat down on Keeley’s pink overstuffed futon. 

“I still don’t understand how you can do that, it always kind of creeps me out,” Keeley blurted out, staring at the newly formed legs.

“Welcome to the afterlife,” replied Ebony. “You know what? I am going to tell Jezebel; she will kill me again if I don’t.” And with that Ebony strolled over to the door, opened it and began stepping across the clouds that the heaven provides as yards. She walked over to an edge and slowly but stealthily created a black and red void with her mind. 

She wasn’t the only one able to do that.  Every Council member that could travel to dimensions could create passageways with their minds. Ebony slowly stepped into the void, allowing the black and red colors to swallow her as she thought of Jezebel’s front yard. She felt a wind pushing her back and then she was in hyper speed. She came to an abrupt stop and the void opened up as she stepped onto the charcoal colored ground.  She looked around, taking in her surroundings. Jezebel’s house is a red and black new house with sleek black shutters and a spiked gate compared to her own old haunted mansion down the street. 

As Ebony walked through the gates she saw Vassar tending to Jezebel’s garden of Venus fly traps. She waved “Hey, Vassar.”

He looked up with dirt smudged onto his face and grinned. “Hi, Ebony,” and returned to his work. Ebony felt bad for Vassar sometimes. She knew he was overworked by Jezebel and he was one of her good friends but she thought of how Jezebel saved his life and now he is her servant for all eternity.  She continued to the door and walked right through it. One of the pros to being a ghost, she thought and smiled.  As she entered the modern mansion she was hit with a strong smell, only too familiar.