Ex's and Oh's

[The Wedding]

Camilla's throat was aching for some water as she felt her heart pound in her chest. Dancing all night wasn't as easy as one would think it was, especially after years of partying. Maybe the past year had made her soft.

She kissed her now-husband on the forehead and left to find waters for the both of them. At the very least, sugar water had to exist, right? Bees drink water with sugar in it. It had to exist here.

Well, she had to prepare herself for the ever-increasing possibility that she'd have to settle for punch or some other sugared drink. Perhaps it was naïve to hope for anything like water. Especially in Sugar Rush, the land that always managed to surprise you.

Passing by all the party guests, both from this game and not, she realized how many of these +1s she hadn't known and wondered if Turbo had known them. Probably not. He had spent most of their years apart only in this game. Although, he socialized with more people beforehand, so it depended on the person.

Although, there was one person she passed that she had forgotten they had invited.

"Jet?!"

"Hey, Cam," he said, casually raising a hand to say hi.

It had been so long since she had thought of him. Or their breakup. It made her feel guilty, because her forgetting all about it made his point of why they broke up. The sunset. The boat. Considering it was the last time they had talked, her wedding was an awkward place to meet again. Especially since Turbo was sort of the reason they had broken up.

"So...enjoying the party?" She asked, hoping that small talk could avoid a serious conversation. That behavior was what got her into this situation, but old habits die hard.

"Yeah, it's really well done. It's funny that you don't have water, though."

Camilla frowned. "Really? I was just looking for some."

"I expected that," he chuckled, passing her a water bottle from underneath the table. "That's why I brought some. You never know what to expect in another game."

"Thanks," she smiled, relieved that she still managed to find water. Although, it wasn't excellent that the game had none. She'd have to talk to Turbo about that.

If that thought wasn't perfect enough timing, Turbo had popped up next to her, lost in the sight of a sea of fabric. She leaned over to see him, and realized something about her and her husband.

They couldn't bear to be apart for less than 20 seconds.

He smiled up at her before glancing towards his former rival and gasping.

"Jet?!"

"Turbo?!"

The two lit up seeing each other, and Turbo was immediately lifted up and brought into a hug.

"It's been ages, man!" Jet grinned. "Did you go bald?"

"Oh, please! You don't look perfect, either. It looks like you made that outfit yourself," the groom commented.

"Well, duh! Only someone as cool as me could make something like this."

"It looks like it's made out of leaves."

"As observant as always," the former racer chuckled, rolling his eyes. "As much as I hate to say it, I missed you."

"Oh! Have you and Camilla kept in touch since..." Turbo hesitated, not knowing what to call it. "The...little Roadblasters mishap?"

Jet laughed. "We always just called it The Incident. Yeah, we...we definitely kept in touch."

Camilla's cheeks turned deep red in embarrassment. She hadn't felt the need to tell Turbo about her previous relationship with Jet. It hadn't come up. Besides, it was embarrassing to admit, especially since they weren't officially broken up yet. Of course, how could they not have been? Turbo was presumed dead. That's about as much of a breakup as one needs.

Turbo, however, always managed to pick up on any hints of other suitors for Camilla. It was one of his stronger points.

"Wait...Milk my duds. Camilla, you didn't!" He gasped.

"It was before we met up again!" Camilla protested, her fists grabbing the spilling fabric of her dress. "I thought you were dead! Again."

"And with Jet, too?" He mocked. "Wow, how scandalous!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jet asked, holding back laughter.

"You two hated each other last time I saw you two together! What changed?" Turbo asked incredulously.

"I mean..." Camilla trailed off, exchanging glances with Jet.

"I'm only teasing, dear," he assured her. "Don't worry, I dated someone else too."

Camilla smiled softly at his attempts to comfort her. But then, the second part of it had hit her.

"Wait, who??"

Now it was Turbo's turn to feel embarrassed. Especially since he wasn't sure how his ex had felt about him after their breakup. He gestured for Camilla to come closer, and she bent down to do so.

"Do you know the security guard at the Bakery?" He whispered.

"Beard Papa?!" She gasped. "No!"

"Yes," he groaned, leaning his forehead into the palm of his hand. "It was...a long time ago."

Camilla scanned through the different guests of the reception before her eyes finally found Beard Papa. He had actually showed up!

"He's the only adult in the game that's not a dessert," Turbo explained. "It seemed like a splendid idea at the time."

"No wonder you don't visit the Bakery often..." Camilla commented, before considering the effect she might've had on Jet. "Wait, how are we with each other?"

"What does that mean?" Jet questioned.

"Are we frenemies now? Are we still friends?" Camilla asked. "How are exes supposed to work?"

"When have you ever done things the way they were supposed to be?" He pointed out. "Look, it's been, like, a year. I've moved on."

"You don't hate me?"

"Cammy, I never hated you."

The two smiled at each other, appreciating that they didn't have to act in any particular way towards each other.

However, Turbo, all of a sudden, felt awkward being there. He squeezed Camilla's hand to let her know that he was leaving and went off to find someone else. Seeing this talk made him think of something he had to do.

Moving through the crowds and tables, he finally found the person he was looking for. Sitting at a table with a few people from other games was Beard Papa. He looked up from his conversation, surprised to finally see Turbo.

"Hello," Turbo smiled awkwardly.

"Hey."