Chapter 3: New Friends, Old Enemies

Jim flicked the basement light on, looking around cautiously. The lights flickered, and he couldn't help but feel that he was being watched. He took a cautious step forward, but paused when he heard a clanking sound. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end.

Then there was the sound of heavy rock slamming on the cement floor.

Behind him, a massive stone body appeared from the darkness, all four arms spread in greeting, and all six eyes sparkling with glee. "Master Jim!"

Jim screamed, and scrambled backwards, knocking his head against the pole.

"Master Jim!" The large... monster greeted him happily. "We have found you!"

Jim screamed again, scrambling to get away as the stone monster came closer.

"I am known as Blinky," it said, smiling at him.

Jim backed away wide-eyed, but bumped into something large. He lifted his head, blood running cold at another one of those things.

"Hi," it said, voice deep and rumbling.

Jim yelped, tripping over his feet as he scrambled away.

"It's Aarrrgghh," the brute stone monster said, like he was correcting him. "Three R's."

Jim backed into the furnace, yelping when he burned himself. He stumbled between the two monsters, ducking down as they got closer again.

"Oh god, oh god, oh god," he whimpered. His life flashed before his eyes, certain he was about to die.

"Hmm, he says "aahh" a lot," the big one noted.

"It's more a yelp, I believe," "Blinky" said. "A greeting perhaps?"

He looked right at Jim and yelled in a greeting. Jim screamed again, and tried to run. The big one, Aarrrggh, grabbed his legs, holding him upside down.

"Master Jim, you have been chosen." Blinky informed him, continuing to ignore his utter panic.

"Blinky, he looks scared." Aarrgghh noted.

Jim trembled, praying that this was all just a dream.

"Uh, Aarrrgghh, my good fellow, would you mind?" Blinky clasped his hands behind his back. "This is a moment of some solemnity."

"Solembily?"

"It means serious and dignified."

"Hmm. Dig-noo-fied..."

"P-P-Put me down, please?" Jim begged, his voice shaking.

Aarrrggh obliged and gently put him down, patting his head.

"Thank you, now where was I?" Blinky wondered.

Jim slowly began moving away again, but was stopped by big stony hands.

"'Master Jim, found you...'" Aarrrgghh said.

"Yes, thank you," Blinky cleared his throat. "Master Jim, you have been chosen. The Amulet of Daylight challenges you to ascend to the most sacred of offices."

"Orifices?" Aarrrgghh wondered. "What 'orifices'?"

"Offices," Blinky corrected again. "It means responsibility." He turned to Jim again. "Unbeknownst to your kind, there is a secret world, a vast civilization of trolls lurking beneath your very feet, hidden from view."

"Tro-Trolls?" Jim gaped.

"Trolls." Blinky nodded. "Yes, trolls. And it is now your charge to protect them. For you, Master Jim, are the Trollhunter."