Like a Cat

The elders of each Tribe and the king had gathered to discuss some matters with K'uk'ulkan in consecutive meetings. Wakanda and Talokan would exchange goods and there were ongoing plans to open an institution for both Talokanilex and Wakandan kids to learn each other's language and culture. Their alliance had grown strong in the past few years and finally, people from both nations saw results.

Despite the importance of each consecutive meeting, the absence of the Black Panther was greatly felt. General Ayo stated that Shuri had business with the outreach center in the States and would not be able to attend the three-day meetings.

Once the first day was marked down and everyone had retired to their respective duties, the god-king of Talokan remained with nothing to do but stroll around the Citadel. His generals were nowhere to be found; they were most likely enjoying their stay with the Doras.

Without noticing, Namor ended up finding himself lost in the middle of the grand palace. He stopped to analyze the situation. I’m lost. He figured, turning and gazing at the corridors made of marble and gold. Perhaps he could find someone who could help him find the way back to his bedchamber, but he was absolutely alone, or so he thought.

A soft purr caught the king’s attention. A black cat was walking from behind him; delicately its hind legs following its front paws, not making a sound. Namor stared at it for a bit till the cat reached his left ankle and rubbed its body against him. He smiled and crouched, rubbing the feline on its head, “I’m lost and there’s nobody here but you,” Namor confessed. The cat purred and purred, leaning on the man’s hand for scratches.

The cat ran away and stopped in the middle of the hallway, then glanced back at Namor. He could not read a cat’s body language, but a bored man simply does what a bored man does; the king followed the cat as if it was his mission to find out where it was going.

As Namor followed the cat, he started to recognize the corridor; he was right in front of his room. “You brought me back to my room?” He asked, amazed. The cat meowed nonstop till the king opened the door. The cat squished right in before he could fully open the door and made itself at home. He didn’t mind his new companion in the slightest and opted to keep it there while on his stay at Wakanda.

Namor asked the staff members to bring him cat food and happily set his friends’ belongings on the floor. He also placed a pillow nearby so the cat could sleep on it. Namor was amused; he never had a pet companion before. “Panther. I will call you Panther,” Namor stated, proudly at his very original name. It was a black cat after all and reminded him of a very special person.

Just before Namor could fall asleep, he felt something jump on his bed, walk by his side, and lay by his head. Panther wouldn’t sleep on the floor no matter how many times the king got out of his bed and placed it down on its pillow. “That is your bed. This is my bed,” he said, his eyebrows slightly furrowed, but when the cat jumped back on his bed, Namor gave up by raising his hands and lying back on the bed. There laid Panther by his side, cuddling between his shoulder and neck. “Tomorrow I have a very important meeting and you are not letting me sleep,” he groaned, turning towards Panther and poking its black nose. The God-king did not share a bed with anyone and refused to do so, but tonight he could make an exception.

It was past eight in the morning when K'uk'ulkan felt a strong pressure on his cheek. Panther was standing with both paws on his face, purrings. He lifted off the bed in a second, scaring the cat away, and glanced at his beads to check the time. He was late. The man flew to the bathroom to run the shower, then changed into his beautiful garments, and sprinted out of there.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” He scolded his warriors, Attuma and Namora. They gave an excuse, saying they too slept in because they drank too much last night. Ever since matters between Wakanda and Talokan had settled, peace followed, which led them to lower their guard as if they were at home. Still, getting drunk to the point of having trouble waking up was an irresponsible attitude. “You too drank a lot?” Namora asked, quickening her pace as they came closer to the throne room, “the cat didn’t let me sleep,” “cat?” “Yes, a cat,” Namor replied, annoyed.