Chapter 2: Rough Starts

Mikaela's POV:

I sigh as the bills fall from my hands. Business has been slow and having a family of five is rough without any help. Even before Mason died, business had been dwindling. Now, it's just a mess because no one believes a girl can handle a "man's job." Idiots. I know more about mechanics than everyone in this town put together.

Walking out of the shop, I look at the bright red neon letters: "MB Autoshop." First it belonged to Mason Burnett, my mentor, but after he died, he gave everything to me in his will. I'll never forget the kindness he showed me after my ex-husband abandoned our family. That bastard. I was pregnant, already had three kids, and he left. All because he wanted a boy and thought he was getting a girl. 

"C'mon Mikaela. Get it together," I mutter to myself. "They need  you."

"Mom? Are you okay?" I turn around to see my eldest son walking toward me with concern in his blue eyes. He grew up faster than I wanted him to. It's probably all my fault. Because of the lack of support with such a big family, S.J. took on the challenge. He always made sure his siblings were healthy and happy, took them to school, played with them, even helping me out with the orders and fixing any problems. He shouldn't have to do that at such a young age. He's barely 13.

"Yeah, sweetheart." I respond. "Are your siblings asleep yet?"

S.J. pauses before answering. "Sav and Sawyer are asleep, but Summer's still awake. She thinks you're stressed."

I quickly turn my head to hide my shocked face. How do they know? Dammit. I need to be more discreet.

"Are you?" he asks.

I turn toward my son, give him a soft smile, and say "I just have a few bills to pay, honey. That's all?

"You know," he starts softly, "I can get a job if we need the money. I'm sure plenty will be willing to hire me."

"No," I respond quickly. Immediately, I lower my voice. "You know I don't want you to. You should be doing everything a 13-year-old does. Riding bikes, going out with friends, not working because I need money."

He looks at the ground. "I don't fit in with the guys at school anyway. You know that."

I walk toward him. "I know Sammy, but maybe just try. Please?"

"Okay Mom," he sighs. "And don't call me that. It makes me sound like a baby." 

I give him a hug and he buries his head in my stomach saying, "If you need anything, just tell me. I know how hard you work for us. Okay?"

"Okay, SJ." 

He smiles. "Thanks Mom. Love you."

"Love you too sweetheart."

I watch him retreat upstairs before calling, "Tell your sister it's time for bed. You too mister."

SJ gives me a thumbs up before taking a water and heading to his room. 

Once he's out of sight, I look back at the neon sign. It's going to get better. It has to.

If it doesn't, I'll do whatever it takes to give my kids the life they deserve.

Closing up shop, I turn out the lights, climb into bed, and hope tomorrow will bring a miracle.