Chapter 7: Medusa

"Princess." He greeted with a smirk and nod. I didn't dare cast a look to Winnie, knowing without looking that she was staring at me accusatory, brows raised into her hairline at the sound of Fox's mocking nickname for me.

"Don't call me that." I retorted, too tired and sick to put up much of an argument. I could barely meet his eyes, feeling jittery as flashes of last night returned to me.

Fox ignored me, instead tilting his head as his eyes scanned down my form and back to my eyes, "Don't you look a picture of health?" I could tell he was holding back a laugh, and felt my nerves fray. It was his fault I was in this state in the first place, his vicious taunts driving me to do things I would never usually do, be someone I was not.

"Whatever Fox. I'm not in the mood." I barked, slitting my eyes at him. His amusement didn't dull, my annoyance only making his grin grow.

"Wow," He raised his hands above his head dramatically, wolfish grin bringing the dimples to his cheeks, "Grouchy."

"Fox, I swear if you pull another stunt like that with her... mom will be the least of your worries." Elise warned, both Fox and I turned to look at her in a startle, as though we'd both forgotten she was even there.

He shook his head, grin fading, "Yeah, whatever."

"Project. Tonight." I said, blinking fast through the bright light of the hallway as his attention returned to me.

Fox smirked again, "Fine". Unlike me, he looked just as flawlessly flawed as usual, hair a mess of dark curls that just fell into place perfectly, his green eyes holding a wild glint as he stared down at me.

I mentally slapped myself, "And no party. I'm warning you Fox."

He raised his eyebrows sarcastically, tapping the toe of his boots against the vinyl floors, "You sure seemed to enjoy the last one I took you to."

My eyes bulged, taking me back to memories I didn't wish to revisit, "Did I look like I was enjoying it when I was throwing up in the bushes?"

"Okay, okay." He put his hands up like I was holding a gun to his head, but the wide mocking grin consuming his lips gave away his immense amusement, "no party. Promise."

"7 o clock. Prompt." I nodded once, hard. The pressing glare I sent him narrowly hid the wince that scrunched up my features at the quick movement.

His eyes were bright with laughter, looking down at me like I was the most amusing thing he'd ever encountered. He opened his mouth to say something, but before they could get past his lips, he was interrupted by a hard clap on his shoulder.

"Dude, you coming?" One of his friends passed, sending me a mocking look as though he were holding back laughter at my mere existence. When I turned back to Fox, he was an entirely different person, suddenly cold in a blink, as though turning to stone under Medusa's gaze, under my eyes. Without a word he walked off, the picture of indifference, leaving me in the centre of the hallway like a sore thumb. What was that? It was as though a switch had flicked, reverting him to his factory settings, his robotic nonchalance that rendered me meaningless.

<3<3<3

The rest of the day passed with a blur of panting headaches and nausea, and as 7 o clock slowly neared I found myself dreading Fox's arrival at my door. I paced the living room as minutes passed, 6:59 ticking to 7:00. And even though I was already on edge, I jolted upright as soon as a loud knock bellowed through the hall.

I ran over to the doorway, pausing when I realised I'd seem too eager if I answered straight away. After a couple of painful beats, I swung open the door, Fox's nonchalant face greeting me.