Ch. 8: 24 Hours Remaining

Christmas Eve has arrived. Having woke up at around 1:11 pm, Dan sat up to look at his phone to check the time.

Dan: December... 24th. Oh no, I forgot!

He got up from the bed, got dressed quickly and went to his car to drive back to the graveyard alone to visit his brother's grave. Once he arrived at the graveyard, he gets out of his car and went over to the tombstone.

Dan: I haven't been able to properly end my discussion with you, my brother. Now, you might be wondering "Why didn't you bring my Teddy bear here?" To tell you the truth, I gave it to a young orphan. It's hard for me to move on this way, but I'll try to do better.

He kneels down before the tombstone, placing his fingers on the carvings. He took out his phone and began to record.

Dan: Life is different without you. I'm sorry for failing you... I'm sorry for not saving you... I, uh... I met this really joyful woman. Her name is... her name is Melody... and for some reason, I told her who you were. Chris... after you died, I was ready to see you again. I've always been ready to quit living through this pain but it was different this time. It felt like I had nothing to live for. But Melody helped me see a little more clearly. She asked about you, actually. You would have liked her. She's a good woman. I'm not ready to see my family again... not sure if I'll ever be. I think... I think I'm ready to try and live again. It's what you would have wanted. It's what mom and dad would have wanted too. Out there, there are people just like Melody and they need to believe in Santa Claus. I don't think I'll ever get over you... or your death. I don't think this recording is me trying to forget you either. I'll never forget you. Don't think this is a goodbye tape... it's more of a checking in tape. So here I am, just checking in to say hi...and I miss you. I miss you. No matter how much you want to hang on to a moment, you can't stop time from moving on.

He stopped the recording and puts his phone back in his pocket before heading back to his car to return to the house. Having quite some time to spare before heading back, Dan went over to the hospital to see his sick grandmother, who was recently hospitalized for pneumonia.

Dan: Hey, grandma.

His grandmother looked over to him, smiling. She had a nasal cannula placed in her two nostrils.

Grandmother: Daniel...

He went to the room, sitting on the chair beside her.

Dan: You doing okay?

Grandmother: Mhm.

Dan placed his hand on hers, giving her a sad look.

Dan: How much time do you have left?

Grandmother: About a month... just enough time to see you and your family one more time. Because I love them more than anything in this world.

Dan felt guilty for not giving her a Christmas gift.

Dan: How many years have you smoked?

Grandmother: Since I was seven. Still mourning?

Dan nodded. The conversation went on before the nurse comes in, telling Dan that he has to leave which he does so but not before saying goodbye to his grandmother.

(Timeskip to 7:10 pm)

Dan placed his homemade cookies on the glass plate and sat down at the table, waiting for Melody to arrive. Hearing a knock on the door, Dan stood and went over to the door, opening it.

Dan: Hey Melody, so glad you cou-

Dan's eyes widened, something on her caught his attention.