𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚

Walking home in the streets of Gotham was a terrible idea. The streets that held crimes that stood no chance at being stopped by just one force. It was common knowledge not to be out after dark, the dangers that lurked in the shadows left a giant footprint on this city. Leaving the citizens that can't afford to escape this exposed hell to attempt to dance around the violence and horrors that seemed to be on every corner.        

I was one of them, taking the subway home from work every day and having to walk the rest. Most would ask why a 20-year-old black woman is walking home alone. Without a car and unable to catch a ride home I'm forced to walk home.

My work was a very boring office job in the busiest part of Gotham, right next to Wayne Enterprises. A beacon for most, or moral for the hope this city once had but has now wasted away. I frequently find myself in meetings inside Wayne Enterprises, substituting for my boss when she's out "sick". I truly don't mind sitting in for her. She has become somewhat of a friend to me, treating me to a bounce or a few extra dollars on my next paycheck in her absences. All I really must do is take notes, not commune in these spaces such as asking questions and adding an opinion which was best possibility for me. I'm not the best at talking to people no matter how much confidents I had that day.

Even though I have a paying job, and some type of insurance that covers the bare bone, I hated my job. I hated the long walk I had to make from my small apartment to the subway to downtown, every day, 6 days a week, with only one-off day. I hated my co-workers that talked down to me even though I was in a higher position from them. The over-baring hours waring me down by the fingers as I type my life away into a computer and the cramps from writing with a pen. Burn out weren't the words I wanted to describe to my father every night I talked to him over the phone in the empty office building. Changing occupations was on the table for a while, but the thought of trying to find a job that had the same benefits and around the same pay to keep me afloat would be almost impossible. being locked in mentally on the idea that things would get better soon, only if I waited a bit longer.

The streetlight I passed flickered; its orange hue illuminated over top of me. The abandoned street emitted the sounds of cop sirens in the distance. My head shot up from my phone as screeching of tires woke me enough to pay more attention to my surroundings. The car that must have been going over 70 miles per hour flew by, something from inside was thrown straight into my nose.

Whatever hit me sent my balance off. I tumbled to the ground as my head hit the sidewalk with a loud shattering sound in my ears. The object was a large liquor bottle, shards snuck into my face with burning pain.

I gasped out a curdled scream, causing dogs to bark in the not so far distance. I shockingly placed my hands on my face just to feel warm liquid started to pull from my head into my hands. Pulling away and opening my eyes I found I was bleeding.

Shit. Looking around I found what was left that hit me, I hate this city. I clicked my tongue and sucked up my tears, putting one fist to the ground, I pushed up to get back on my feet. I grabbed my stuff and stood ready to continue to walk home, clean myself off and tend to these wounds.

ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛꜱ ʟᴀᴛᴇʀ

Every step I took was almost dreamlike, my vision was cloudy which caused me to sway back and forth. Though through my pain I was able to see the street sign. Damn, there had to be another 15-minute walk from my house.

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw a shadow following me through the fire escapes of some apartments. Though I'm not the one to drink, I felt that I was drunk out of my mind. Every step I took I became more clumsy, dizzy, and made me sick to my stomach. The street I stumbled down twisted and turned causing me to stop in my tracks. Maybe I should call a taxi, I can't afford a hospital visit, I shouldn't be feeling like it was just a bottle to the nose, right?