Neighborly

An overgrown garden greeted Lori and Cassie as they approached, the first indicator of where the Granger family lived. Cassie pressed her lips together, mentally noting that nobody had arranged for the garden to care for an entire year, resulting in what was once tenderly loved and cared for becoming wild with abandon.

The door of the home opened and provided the second indicator of where the Granger family lived as two strangers stepped out. These two apparent strangers certainly drew the attention of an overly curious teenager interested in any conspiracy theories she could get her hands on. Cassie recognized certain things here and there, small things regarding how the strangers dressed, even how they carried themselves, that indicated they were a part of the magical community she was so familiar with.

Having spent much time among Muggles, those unable to use magic, Cassie knew those small things here and there that she saw that identified the individuals as able to use magic would come across as mere eccentricities. Yet, she wasn't surprised to see Lori, a young teenager interested in whatever conspiracy theory she could latch onto, perk at the sight of such eccentricities, her mind possibly already forming a story regarding what was going on.

"Here to pay the Granger family a visit?" the darker-skinned individual asked. He turned his head, looking at the front door. "They're quite worn out from their trip."

"Not to mention they're quite stressed," said the individual dressed in lime green, indicating they were from St. Mungo's, confirming Cassie's suspicions that their daughter made sure her parents weren't in the country during the war. However, she wasn't sure of the exact details.

She smiled at them. "I don't plan on being long, actually. Just long enough to drop off a tea blend I made since I figured they would be worn out and stressed from their trip."

"And you?" the Healer said, looking right at Lori. "Are you also needed?"

"Well," Lori started saying.

"Then be off with you. You can visit the Granger family later when they're more well-rested," the Healer said, taking their duty as a practitioner of magical medicine quite seriously. "They also don't need to be the village gossip either."

"Yes, ma'am," Lori said before turning to look at Cassie. "See you later?"

"Feel free to drop by Gray House any time you want, particularly with your grandfather," Cassie said, watching Lori take off. She took a deep breath. "She means well."

The non-healer frowned, then said. "For some reason, you look familiar."

"I don't see why," Cassie said. "I don't believe we have ever met."

"Anyways," he said, turning to look at the house. "Don't be long. They're quite frazzled."

And then the two were gone, headed in the opposite direction Lori took off in, likely searching for a place they could safely Apparate from without any Muggles seeing them. Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door. A few minutes later, a young woman with red hair answered the door, not who Cassie had expected. "Hermione, I think someone's here to visit your parents."

"Oh, um," came the voice from inside the home. "I'm not sure they're available. Can this take a...."

And then, "What do you mean were not available?" another person said. "Just because your father is lying down right now doesn't mean I'm unavailable, Hermione Jean Granger. And after spending a year away from Middleton because of your shenanigan of sending us on a trip, I'll gladly take visitors. Who is it?"

"Actually, I'm not someone the Granger's would know as I recently moved here," Cassie said, opening her purse. "I simply heard they'd been vacationing the last year and thought I'd do the neighborly thing and drop off a tea blend I made since I knew—well, as George O'Hanrahan said, you might be in need of a vacation from the vacation."

"Well, that is thoughtful," Hermione's mother said, coming to the door, at first smiling and speaking. "And since we do know almost everybody in Middleton," she continued, only for the smile to falter for some reason upon seeing Cassie. "It is nice to meet what new neighbors we gained while we're gone." She glanced up and down, tensing up. "I think." The woman took a deep breath. "Why don't you come in?"

"I don't have to. I can just drop it off," Cassie said. "If I come in, I'll insist on making it for you."

"Oh, that's fine."

Cassie watched the woman beckon her in, noticing how frazzled she seemed. She nodded her head at the red-haired girl. "Cassie Nightingale, by the way."

"I'm Ginny Weasley," the young redhead said, reaching out to shake Cassie's hand.

"Ah," Cassie said, stepping in, taking note there weren't any pictures on the wall, almost as if someone had removed them. She frowned.

The Granger matriarch turned, looking at her. "Something the matter?"

"Well, I noticed there aren't any pictures on the wall?"

Hermione's mother turned, looking at the blank walls, before sighing. "Hermione Jean Granger, what did you do with the family portraits?"

"I hid them," Hermione said.

"Well, put them back as soon as possible. Your father will have yet another meltdown if he sees they're gone, particularly given," Mrs. Granger sighed. "Sorry. Our vacation from our vacation...."

"Can I be honest," Cassie said. "About something.

"About what?"

"That while I'm not completely aware of your family situation, I am more aware than your neighbors regarding what happened last year, but that's really why I stopped by. I wanted to check to see how you and your husband are doing."

"I'm not following," Hermione's mother shook her head.

"I'm talking about your daughter whisking you and your husband away during the war," Cassie said, knowing this was the right thing to say, even though it felt awkward and definitely something that would get a reaction. And she did get a response from the three other women in the room at what she just said.