The Night is Cold, The Night is Warm

The sky was gray and the air had a chill as you observed the tents being put up. You pulled your cloak closer around you, trying to chase some remaining warmth. The colder months were quickly approaching.

You were a part of House Stark - one of Ned Stark's daughters. As the Lord of Winterfell, your father had decided to embark on a tour among your lands in order to visit the individual villages and communities that were under your father's protection. You insisted that he bring you along. And he insisted that your attendance would only be allowed if your sworn shield came with you.

Brienne was her name. It suited her, you thought. You liked the way her name rolled off your tongue. You also liked the way her cheeks would flush a little when it did. She was a giant of a woman. Incredibly strong and expertly skilled in combat. She was as loyal as they came and you were grateful she was sworn to protect you. Overtime, you had begun to wonder if there was something more between you. Tender gazes and lingering touches passed between the two of you frequently. You never had to wonder where she was; she was always nearby.

~~~~

"Will you be alright, my Lady?" Brienne had asked you one day as you reached up to take hold of your horse's saddle. She bent down to place her hands on your waist. With incredible ease, she lifted you to sit on the saddle. Her hands lingered on your waist for a few moments longer. Surely, it was just so that she could make sure you were seated correctly, right?

You turn to look down at her with a smile. "Of course, I'll be alright. I've got you right behind me." Brienne's cheeks flushed a little at that, which you assumed was only due to the cold weather, as she smiled shyly back at you.

You turn back towards your horse, picking up the reins. Out of the corner of your eye, you notice Brienne continue to stare at you for a few moments longer before stepping away to mount her own horse behind you.

~~~~

Almost as if she knew you were thinking about her, she appeared at your side. Being shaken from your thoughts, you scanned the area. Your father's men were setting up camp for the night.

"Is there anything I can help you with, my Lady?" She asked.

An idea formed in your mind. "No, I'm alright. Although I would ask a favor of you for later."

"Anything, my Lady. You know I am at your disposal."

"Will you come to my tent this evening after nightfall?" You ask, looking up at her.

Brienne paused for a brief moment before responding, "Of course."

You give her a smile and secretly delight in the way her eyes soften toward you. "Wonderful. I will await you there."

_______________________

As nightfall set, the chill hardened. Some of your father's men had gone to sleep in their tents while others were outside keeping watch around a fire.

You were standing in your tent anxiously awaiting Brienne to come. It was spacious and warm inside against the cold. You hear footsteps approaching the tent.

"My Lady?" Brienne called softly.

"You may enter."

Brienne opens one of the tent flaps and steps inside. She quickly glances you up and down. You were wrapped in your cloak.

"Were you wanting to go for a nighttime ride, my Lady? The cold outside is sharper now." She asked apprehensively.

"No, I thought maybe you could help me with something else."