Chapter 24 (How Could You?)

School is a jungle place, survival of the fittest. She was now a senior, same year with her secret husband. While Serra Brooks and Candy Morris Dale were now Sophomore, supposedly with Marco but the Monroe siblings' schooling is still in question; if they would continue studying there or go back to Paris. But if they did continue in Kuwait, Aries was supposed to be Anne's batch mate.

One week felt like an eternity for her. Everyday she eagerly waited to see him again, yearning to be close to his warm heart; to be close to her personal sunshine. She could not believe how poetic she had become all just because of HIM. I guess this is what loves to fools like us.

There was a new spring in her steps as she walked towards her classes, anticipating her beloved so eagerly, so wantonly. She checked her first two classes and there was still no sign of him. She went out in the hallway when one huge bully suddenly came out from nowhere and snatched her bag. She did not have much time to prepare herself for that, as she remained speechless when all of a sudden... a red hair hero came out of nowhere from a corridor, extending his hand out.

The burly kid did not see that coming, so he was knocked out immediately. Everyone cheered for her hero. She ran towards him, fully amazed. Never in her whole life has she ever thought that he was capable of such greatness. And that honor belonged to Marco Seo, age 16, a sophomore. Or was it really Marco? He still looked like that gangly kid who followed her everywhere since birth but summer seemed to have greatly influenced him.

He was taller now, he even put a bit of muscles on. His baby fats had divorced him as well, making him leaner and a bit matured looking. He shyly patted his red hair, as his right hand gave Anne's bag to her. So many words to fill the etched silence and yet at the same time their shyness held them captive. "Uhm, your bag." Even his voice became deeper.

She swung it at her back, "Thanks! Hey what happened to you? You left Kuwait so quickly."

He scrutinized her with his innocent coffee brown eyes, trying to choose his words well. He wanted to say many things, feeling so many emotions all at once but all he managed to say was this; "That, is none of your business." Leaving her insulted and confused.

Yes, that little troublemaker really did change. Brat. She decided to go to the canteen, but something caught her eye, she saw Alexander from a distance, frozen at the door of the canteen with a scowl on his handsome face. Uh-oh what does that mean?

She cheerfully waved at him as she tried to catch up but he went on ahead of her, as if he did not even saw her. Oh you paranoid freak just did not do that to me! She prepared her knuckles at her hand as she marched towards the canteen's premises.

She scanned the whole area, she then spotted him in the middle of the room as if deciding what would he do next. Anne stormed towards hid direction, linking her arms into his. "Hey handsome! I've missed you!" she purred.

As if jolted from a reverie, he slowly glanced at her. "I'm sorry but I think you've mistaken me for someone else, Annie." His politeness cut through her breath more than an angry scream or an insult could have ever had; for his politeness made her feel out of place. What.the.hell.is.going.on?

Anastasia tried to smile even though it felt like ice on her face. "Oh I get it! It's either you're jealous and I totally forgot we made an agreement to keep our marriage secret. So sorry." She hugged him closer.

He slowly took off his arms from her. "Marriage? What marriage?" he blinked innocently, just in time as his friends arrived, witnessing her shameful moment.

Her color drained from her face as the cold cold cold world started to tease her heart with unspeakable sadness, "You gotta be kidding me right?" she said it in a whisper. She shook her head in disbelief, "We're married remember?" Look at this ring! It's the proof!" she said pathetically, showing her hand to him.