11. Resemblance

Harriet...

I stood confidently, warding off any awkwardness that threatened my veneer. I was trying to pretend I belonged, which wasn't difficult as the club shared an eerie resemblance to the institution I would earn a Juris Doctorate from.

After my library visit, I'd taken a quick stroll on Downtown Napa's 1st Street before checking into what looked like a palatial little hotel. With all of the emotional and historical upheaval taking place, I was determined to enjoy some of it.

I'd called my dad, eager to hear the sound of his calming cadence. He was always such a firm and safe place to land. I asked him if he trusted me when he asked where I'd gone. It was better than asking him not to worry – he was my father; he would always worry.

I applied soft makeup at the vanity in my room that overlooked the iconic valley vistas of wine country. If I hadn't been on a quest for closure, the trip might have made for a resplendent little getaway.

I sat alone in the room, toggling between slicking my curls back into an Ivy League bun and sipping from a glass of complimentary wine.

"Miss Johnson?" the young man at the front desk had called out to me.

I beamed, "Yes?"

"You said you were referred to us by Nina Bachmann?"

"That's right," I brought my hand fondly to my chest, "She's like an aunt to me. She and my mother are longtime friends – college roommates, actually. I'm here staying with the Bachmanns before I head back to Cambridge in the Fall. Aunt Nina wanted to be here but she had a previous engagement. She said I should have no problem with access? You're welcome to call her if that's helpful. She should be wrapping up her volunteer program at the library now," I smiled sweetly.

"Of course. I'm very familiar with the Bachmanns, " he smiled, adding quietly, "They're generous tippers."

I was grateful for his camaraderie, "I know, right? I mentioned needing a new Mergers & Acquisitions textbook, and like magic, it appeared on my pillow the next morning."

We both laughed.

"I'm glad she's on your team. I'm happy to invite you on an escorted tour of the grounds. Are there any amenities most preferable to you?" The man alternated between clicking away at a computer and looking at me with friendly eyes.

"Yes, the course. I'm an avid golfer and would love an opportunity to take a peak. Is that allowed?"

"Yes. It may be a bit of an abridged tour. We have a few extended security protocols in place today – routine stuff – but it shouldn't be an issue. You'll still be able to see most of the course," my heart thudded as I gripped the handle of my tote bag where I stashed the folder with the resumes and the diary, just in case.

"Oh, wonderful. I'm so excited," I clapped my hands in faux merriment.

The man nodded, smiling at me, "Usually, I'd have another attendant to escort you, but I'm happy to do it myself if you're up for it."

My single goal had captured my focus. I hadn't realized that the man might have been flirting with me.

I was grateful Nina had reminded me to tend to my wardrobe choices. I wore a white polo beneath my Harvard Law School crewneck with a white pleated tennis skirt and white tennis shoes to match.

Nana had surprised me with the sweatshirt before I headed off to my first year. I'd admonished her for buying the pricey emblemized apparel, but she'd told me to hush and made me try it on.

You can't tell me nothin'... My baby's going to Harvard Law. You better wear that thing. You belong, you hear me?

The gentleman spoke, "It's totally fine if you'd prefer someone –"